Best Protien Skimmer

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Really Simple: What is the best hang on back protien skimmer, and in sump protien skimmer. I have been wading through reviews It is like watching a pinball machine

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your debating on hob or in sump, in sump will always be better and safer. As far as brands go there’s a ton of options tons of variation of cost.
I don't have a choice with my one tank. The first. I have my favorite brand for in sump as it has lasted much longer than my hang off the back. I do not know why. It may be to some manufacturers changing to mounting the motor inside the tank. Not appealing to me. If I wanted a lab I would do it yourself for everything. It seems everything costs $500 . I totally agree with you. The tank I need one for is 40 gallon. And yes the overflow issue is a concern. You tell me do you want it to overflow into a container? or into your display water?

Dbichler

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On a 40 gallon I wouldn’t even use a skimmer honestly. As for in sump I would go Lifereef, reef octo or bubble magus for cost and effectiveness. I’m cheap so probably reef octo first new or then a used Lifereef because any pump strong enough works and great reviews.

BOYERZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK Really Simple: What is the best hang on back protien skimmer, and in sump protien skimmer. I have been wading through reviews It is like watching a pinball machine
There is no best. It depends on the individual tank and bioload and feedings. I'd pick one you like that has good reviews and go.

If there is something you don't like about it, mod it.

All skimmers can be modified.

JUSKIDN

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nyos In my opinion. Very easy to dial in and well built. More expensive but I think you get what you pay for.

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is no best. It depends on the individual tank and bioload and feedings. I'd pick one you like that has good reviews and go.

If there is something you don't like about it, mod it.

All skimmers can be modified.
I am interested in that. I am trying to get a hob eshopps working properly. The problem is that there is not enough air mixture to cause it to froth. If I push the limit it wants to overflow. So any ideas?

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer is oversized you will struggle to get consistent skimate. You’ll go between too wet to nothing because there’s not enough proteins to fill the neck of the skimmer to get a foam head, or there is enough proteins and the skimmer takes out too much too quick leaving no foam head again. And back and forth you go. Don’t know if this is your problem, just saying.
Can’t go wrong with a reef octopus. Best bang for buck imo. Also, as mentioned, hob is a flood waiting to happen

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I looked at nyos they are not cheap. I don't mind paying for quality. Another plus is there are reasonably priced replacement parts available. However I cannot find a hang on the back. Which is what I need at the moment

OP
OP
Freenow54

Freenow54

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the skimmer is oversized you will struggle to get consistent skimate. You’ll go between too wet to nothing because there’s not enough proteins to fill the neck of the skimmer to get a foam head, or there is enough proteins and the skimmer takes out too much too quick leaving no foam head again. And back and forth you go. Don’t know if this is your problem, just saying.
Can’t go wrong with a reef octopus. Best bang for buck imo. Also, as mentioned, hob is a flood waiting to happen
Thanks. I had the same one before this one. Same thing happened after about 4 years. It worked great and then fails with no warning. I tried to clean it but did not change anything. I have ordered a new impeller will see. I have looked at reef octopus which is my in sump for my other tank. As to flood that is what happened with my first one. I came home to a tank that was half full and 20 gallons of water on the floor. So I now have a huge container with the overflow draining into that. It was suggested that I should not need a skimmer. I don't have enough knowledge to make that call. So a simple question now becoming more complicated but a good discussion. What do other people think of that statement?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been very impressed with my Ultra Reef Akula 160.
Amazing build quality, great performance, and just a single dial for adjustment. And that dial takes a lot of turning to make small adjustments, making it easy to dial in without a lot of back and forth.
The skimmer cup is the easiest to remove that I have ever seen, and the inner column pops out for easy cleaning.
Available in both AC and DC but even the AC version that I have is quiet.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you are willing to sacrifice some space and aesthetics and do not have a suitable sump, the Tunze 9001 works well and avoids the HOB risks.

nickng

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have teh same dilemma. Just got a new 100 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump. Trying to decide between the deltec 600i or the redsea RSK600DC.
Looking for features where:
(1) skimmer will not overflow or flood the collection cup when I turn off/slow down return pumps during feed cycle. Skimmer either has built in overflow protection or can self adjust turn down
(2) No need to adjust often or mostly self adjusting
(3) silent... heard the deltec is super quiet(have not seen one). Saw the redsea with the DC pump and auto adjuster in a LFS and it seems pretty quiet, but i read alot of people complaining about redsea skimmer noise, why is that so?
(4) easy to attach a CO2 scrubber.

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all, I have teh same dilemma. Just got a new 100 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump. Trying to decide between the deltec 600i or the redsea RSK600DC.
Looking for features where:
(1) skimmer will not overflow or flood the collection cup when I turn off/slow down return pumps during feed cycle. Skimmer either has built in overflow protection or can self adjust turn down.No need to adjust often or mostly self adjusting
(3) silent... heard the deltec is super quiet(have not seen one). Saw the redsea with the DC pump and auto adjuster in a LFS and it seems pretty quiet, but i read alot of people complaining about redsea skimmer noise, why is that so?
(4) easy to attach a CO2 scrubber.
Tunze as they are very underrated skimmers.
I have ran Tunze skimmers for the last 8+ years. For the 40B I would run a 9410dc. The same skimmer will work for your 100g.
I started my old 120 with a 9410dc and moved up to a 9430dc when nitrate hit 20. It then kept no3 @ <3 and I fed heavy.
I will run the 9410dc on my ext 50 and run the 9430dc on my ext 170.
They have anti overflow are quiet and very efficeint. You do not need to turn off when feeding. The cup is attatched to the neck and lifts off for easy cleaning. A scrubber can be attatched if needed.
My 9410dc has been running for 7+ with no issues. I have a standard 9410, non dc, as a backup.
The 9430dc, although quite large, is a beast. I ran it on my 80,120, and now my ext 170.
Another feature I like, although it takes up more space, is the pump is attatched outside and not inside the skimmer chamber.
My 9410dc and 9430dc.
20201031_080535.jpg

20210408_062627.jpg

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I had the same one before this one. Same thing happened after about 4 years. It worked great and then fails with no warning. I tried to clean it but did not change anything. I have ordered a new impeller will see. I have looked at reef octopus which is my in sump for my other tank. As to flood that is what happened with my first one. I came home to a tank that was half full and 20 gallons of water on the floor. So I now have a huge container with the overflow draining into that. It was suggested that I should not need a skimmer. I don't have enough knowledge to make that call. So a simple question now becoming more complicated but a good discussion. What do other people think of that statement?
A skimmer takes out nutrients before they enter the nitrogen cycle. They aerate well and help with ph. For the amount of maintenance it takes to run one compared to other options for nutrient control imo it’s a no brainer. Sure you can have a successful tank without one.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without question Bubble Magus Curve 7!!!!
That's what I had before my Ultra Reef. I found it to be mediocre at best and I can't even sell it for more than $100. It was fine when I needed something inexpensive when setting up my tank but there are far better skimmers out there.

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I highly recommend the Reef Octo 2000 HOB!! I have one and it is awesome, to say the least. It also has a side container that can be used for media. Very quiet, easy to clean, etc. Well worth the money for sure.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back