Best equipment (pumps, powerheads, wavemakers) cleaner? Citric Acid, Muriatic Acid or Vinegar?

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what everyone uses to clean their equipment (pumps, powerheads, wavemakers)?

Of course, vinegar is cheap and fairly non-toxic. Those are two pretty big pluses.

I am not afraid to handle it before my first cup of coffee.

It's not going to burn a hole in my t-shirt or blind me if a wavemaker splashes in my face.

But I am getting a little tired of lugging it home.

Just wondering what other people use and some of the +'s and -'s.

Thanks.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, I will put my vinegr on my salad.

What should I use on my pump?

S2G

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to use vinegar but honestly it didn't really clean that well in a decent amount of time. I noticed tunze offered citric to clean their pumps so I tried some off Amazon. It works much better imo.

OP
OP
M

Mono

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks S2G, didn't realize it was a live link. Just read the post.

Good to know.

Thanks for posting RedFishBlueFish.

Will stock up on citric acid.

I am sure I would end up making a mess with muriatic acid.

andrewkw

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used vinegar for 15 years. I just switched to citric acid and couldn't be happier. Only thing that sucks is it's not quite as readily available as vinegar but I would imagine most people can still find it locally.

It seems to do a much better job getting stuff off pumps. I even soaked some eggcrate and it came back perfectly white. Washing eggcrate is hardly worth it except for the fact you get a lot of algae initially from much of it so I figure I might as well just clean the "clean" ones I have.

The only difference I find is if you have cuts on your hand they will sting more with citric acid than vinegar but not a big deal.

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious what everyone uses to clean their equipment (pumps, powerheads, wavemakers)?

Of course, vinegar is cheap and fairly non-toxic. Those are two pretty big pluses.

I am not afraid to handle it before my first cup of coffee.

It's not going to burn a hole in my t-shirt or blind me if a wavemaker splashes in my face.

But I am getting a little tired of lugging it home.

Just wondering what other people use and some of the +'s and -'s.

Thanks.
Citric Acid for sure. Buy on Amazon at $0.18/oz vs $0.46 at aquarium sites

KleineVampir

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah somebody was studying it hard and said go with the citric acid. Heck maybe I should get some. As for muriatic, be careful. I've worked with it in the past to get the rust stains off my bath tub. And it worked! But I needed gloves and a good gas mask...and safety goggles. You can't breathe that stuff or have it on you so only use it very carefully and as a last resort!

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use muriatic acid ever indoors. I use it to lower pH in my pool and if the wind is blowing towards me the fumes can be overwhelming. Citric acid is the best IMO.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Muriatic. I don't have issues handling it and it is cheap and available. I also use it to lower Alk in my freshly mixed Instant Ocean, so I always have it around for this purpose too.

I can hold my breath for 20-30 seconds, so that is long enough to get some out of the jug and walk away from the area.

SeaJay

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah somebody was studying it hard and said go with the citric acid. Heck maybe I should get some. As for muriatic, be careful. I've worked with it in the past to get the rust stains off my bath tub. And it worked! But I needed gloves and a good gas mask...and safety goggles. You can't breathe that stuff or have it on you so only use it very carefully and as a last resort!
The Works toilet bowl cleaner is the best thing I’ve ever used for removing rust. Or blood...

Kjames

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Muriatic. I don't have issues handling it and it is cheap and available. I also use it to lower Alk in my freshly mixed Instant Ocean, so I always have it around for this purpose too.

I can hold my breath for 20-30 seconds, so that is long enough to get some out of the jug and walk away from the area.
I think I'm too careless for this method!

Muriatic acid is effective, that's for sure. I've used straight solution to remove mill scale on plate steel. Pretty cool.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back