Best fish for 75 gallon reef tank?

morayeelman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im pretty new to saltwater tanks, but I've kept freshwater for over 5 years, in case that information is relevant. I've been building my ideas for fish around the idea of having a lionfish, I think they're really cool, so I've been looking into a dwarf zebra lionfish which will get around 7" long, so I can't keep any fish under around 3.5"-4" So far I've got these fish in mind; pair of ocellaris clownfish (would have to be larger, as an extra precaution), coral beauty angelfish, lemonpeel angelfish and flame angelfish, I'd also love to put a Tomini tang in there but I've had conflicting answers on whether or not I can keep one in a 75. I would like to add around a dozen fish in total with a couple of inverts, I believe that is appropriate stocking. So if anyone has any suggestions for fish that are above 3 inches, non aggressive, not over $200, and preferably colorful or otherwise unique, I would love to hear them and discuss it. Thanks.

mjgonereefing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just my opinion I wouldn’t put clowns with a lion fish. Also flame and coral beauty might get after each other. My opinion is most common fish will do in a 75 except larger tangs, groupers, parrots stuff like that. I would watch multiple angelfish though.

Bruttall

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
in a 75g tank 2 tangs come to mind that would thrive here, as both stay relatively small for Tangs. Those being the 2 spot bristle or Kole Tang, and the Tomini. However, if I was going to keep either, or both together in a 75g I would not have very many other fish. Maybe 7 total fish. Tangs need lots of room to swim, I wouldn't even consider any other tang types unless I had a 6ft tank, minimum.

Tangs are also really good algae eaters; they graze on GHA all day long it seems.

bradreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you going to keep coral? If you are going lionfish. Maybe snowflake eel, toby puffer?

Fish i like-
Halichoeres wrasse
Fairy wrasse- make sure it gets to 5 inches
Tomini tang

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 42 32.6%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.5%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.4%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back