Best food for pod culture

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i am trying my hand at culturing my own tigger pods. I am wondering what the best food source is for the culture. Right now I’m just using Nannochloropsis phytoplankton. I have seen people using that, phyto paste, or spirulina powder. Is one better than the other? If so why? I am also going to start culturing my own Nannochloropsis but I have not started that yet. I’d also like to know how people remove pods from the culture. Will a brine net work?

OP
OP
USMA36

USMA36

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I found a stacking set of sieves on brine shrimp direct. Now I just need to determine the best food to gut load them with. From what I am reading Nannochloropsis doesn’t offer much in the way of nutrition.

Skep18

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use nano but haven't been doing it long. It's a single cell green organism. Idk, I'd think it's petty good nutrition.

Scotty Buttons

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I read a thread on here where someone was using spirulina flake food for the pods. Literally put one flake in at a time and could visually see the pods attaching to and eating the flake. His purpose for this was that the flake didn't pollute the culture water. I'd do a search on the forum for culturing pods and read some of the threads. Good luck.

sde1500

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nanno isn't great, nutritionally it is ok, but it is non-motile and has a harder outer shell(unscientific description) making it challenging for pods to consumer. Tetraselmis and isocrysis are better, especially the two combined. Nutritionally better, motile, less of a shell.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 76 44.4%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 79 46.2%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 16 9.4%
Back