Best generator/backup for nano tank

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I live in Michigan and we’ve had some power outages recently and it’s getting really cold outside. I have a battery air pump but now that it’s winter I need a backup for my heater. I have all soft corals and my tank is by the window so no worries about light as much.
What’s the best option for a backup for the heater? I’d there a small, cheaper generator or backup for a heater that anyone can think of? Thanks! Heater is 100w for my 20 gallon.

josephxsxn

Mixed Reef Peninsula
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in Michigan here, feel you on the temperature and power outages I just went through over 20 hours no power. Without my generator all would have been lost.

I have a Generac 3250, they cost around $500. It is without a doubt one of the best investments I have made. Was able to run all my tanks and QT tanks on it during our recent outage through the night. Of course this generator would be overkill for you, but you could power your whole tank and then some personal stuff in an outage.

Upvote 0

samnaz

Earthling
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in MI too and we get frequent short power outages around here. You may look into a power inverter for your car, if you have one. For me that’s done the trick and provided enough power but the majority of outages have been in warmer months and I use it to power my powerhead, I’ve never need it to power a heater. Of course a generator is the best option, good luck!

Upvote 1

ac4570

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Upvote 0
OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Also in Michigan here, feel you on the temperature and power outages I just went through over 20 hours no power. Without my generator all would have been lost.

I have a Generac 3250, they cost around $500. It is without a doubt one of the best investments I have made. Was able to run all my tanks and QT tanks on it during our recent outage through the night. Of course this generator would be overkill for you, but you could power your whole tank and then some personal stuff in an outage.
A bit outside my budget haha but thank you!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
toadstool_paradise

toadstool_paradise

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If they’re short power outages I would use this. With my return (hydor seltz DC 500GPH) and power head (icecap gyre 2k) the screen was telling me 470 minutes at full charge. That’ll definitely be reduced when the heater is on but should definitely help for short term outages. Mine is a 22 gallon with 15 gallon sump so nano as well.
Awesome I will look into it!

Upvote 0

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Check out your local Craigslist adds and you might be able to pick up a used generator for cheap. You might be able to find one of the Honda generator which are a small foot print, and quiet which is a plus.

Upvote 0

DHill6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been looking at a Yeti power supply, can be solar charged,plugged into truck if needed, run in house no fumes or noise. I also have each mp10 on its own battery back up, air pumps with stones uses usb stick when low on charge for double the time. I have a nano also.

Upvote 0

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 50 42.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 21.0%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 41 34.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back