Best Heater in Terms of Safety and Reliability, No Price Ceiling

David Haldane

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, everyone

I recently had a Finnex titanium heater fail, with it cycling and creating buzzing and bubbles in my sump. I've used Finnex heaters for years without issue, but this now has me spooked. It took me a while to catch this, and If I didn't have grounding probes I probably would have had a larger issue. I just barely avoided putting my hands in the sump with it turned on as well (I had trouble identifying where the noise was coming from, thinking it was a pump or my skimmer airline causing the noise).

I currently use an Apex with dual temp probes as well as an Inkbird temperature controller, so temperature redundancy isn't a topic - only safety and reliability.

What is the best heater on the market without price consideration? I've stumbled across inline titanium heaters by AquaLogic?

What do the pros use?

Thanks in advance

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The longest lasting heaters I have used are the eheim jagers. They are fragile since they are glass but they last a heck of a long time ime. I tend to now avoid heaters without their own internal controller since I like both the heater and the controller backing eachother up.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm running titanium heaters, a couple different brands with and inkbird.
I do have an eheim jager that I use in my mixing station that is probably close to 15 years old with at least 10 years full time use in fresh water. They are just too big for the chamber in my sump

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve used eheim jager for as long as I can remember 12+ years now in fresh and salt never any issues that weren’t my fault (I’ve cracked a few during cleaning). But recently I got two IM Helio 100w as and upgrade and so far I’m impressed nice small compact size and I haven’t seen a swing in temp at all! Stays at or above 79 (ac went out and it creeped up some).

UtahReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the IM Helio Systems. They allow for two elements to be connected. So let's say you buy a 200w system and later you move to a bigger tank. You can add a second element at whatever wattage you desire (100w, 350w, 500w) the system doesn't care. And as a previous member stated they have some great technology for safeguards.

FMF0331

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love my Eheim heater, plugged into Apex.
Been using their heater as long as Yoda been alive. Great product

zoomonster

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like the Eheim Jager's but they are too fragile, too big, and can't be fully submersed. I have a couple I've had 9 years I use for water mixing and backup. I've probably gone through every titanium heater and controller that has hit the market, but the IM Helio PTC heater I have now is probably the nicest/best quality. For titanium I don't think there is anything better right now. Of course, the Helio is also backed up by Apex.

Last edited:

Nick Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I too like the Eheim Jager's but they are too fragile, too big, and can't be fully submersed.
Wait what! I have eheim jagers full submersed for years with zero issue. I think the one in my freshwater tank are 6-7 years old at this point. Just sold tank a few weeks ago.

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another Eheim Jager glass user here -- inexpensive and reliable.
Temperature control dial is pretty rough to dial in but, like many, I just get it running a couple degrees higher and control temperature with an InkBird (although many would vote Ranco over InkBird).
*I've run Eheims fully submerged with no issue

For best with no price ceiling -- no idea.
I've considered spending more but never found one with enough raving reviews to convince me, personally.

Last edited:

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Finnex are good for places things like frag tanks and sumps where something might get dropped on them. Under hard use I find that they are good for about 2-3 years and then need replacing. In my experience the heating element has always just stopped working. I have used maybe 35+ of them and never had an experience like you did.

As for the best heater, you need to quantify that by what what water volume you have and what temperature range you need to cover.

The absolute best heater is the Process Technologies Titanium Immersion Heater. It's a Big Shtupping Heating Element. The start off at 110v 1500w and go up to 480v 3 Phase and 16,500 watts - maybe even bigger. These heaters are the size of baseball bats. They are a solid chunk of titanium - you can drive you car over them - maybe not if you drive a hummer or a Rivian :)

The next step down is the Aqualogic inline heaters. These also are capable of handling really big systems. They now make smaller units down to I think 500w. But they build them bigger up to 220v 10kw too. These are inline heaters usually plumbed for 1.5" to 2" plumbing. They can handle high flow, and high pressure. The aqualogics have a very good temp controller built into most of their classic units - I don't know about their new mini models.

The nice thing about these 2 companies is they build really big heaters. So there smaller ones are built like tanks.

The Process technologies is a heater only and will require a controller. I run both of these companies heaters on my personal system and run Ranco Controllers on both heaters. The Ranco is by far the safest and most reliable controller available. They are made for commercial refrigeration around the world. They are not for consumer hobby products. And they last. I have some running for over 15 years in outdoor environments.

But if you have a 100g system - Either of these is way too big - Not just in terms of heat production but physical size.

Dave B

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 17 10.5%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 44 27.2%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 78 48.1%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 20 12.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.9%
Back