Heaters and controlelrs with long probe wire

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looking to replace a few heaters in my 100g system. I currently use a couple finnex hms 150s. Left in the photo below.
Screenshot_20231126_083518_Chrome.jpg

I also use this finnex temp controller
20231126_083541.jpg

I like both of these units, but they both have the same issue. The probe cords are only 2 feet. This is made even shorter by the fact that for some reason finnex thinks temp probes should come out the top... reducing the cord length by 6 inches, as though it wasn't too short to begin with.

So does anyone have or know of a reliable heater and/or heater controller that has at least a 6 ft probe cord? Would prefer 8 or 10 ft for the co troller so I could mount to control board.

I am considering something like the finnex hmx (heater on right side in first image) as it has the temp sensor built into the unit so I can potentially get the red led display onto my board even tho the round display is much less attractive than the standard rectangle displays imo, im just so sick of bending down into the sump if I want to walk by and see the temperature.

I have read arguments that the longer the wire the less accurate the reading... idk if that's true or not but my hydros has I think a 6.5 ft temp probe that is on par with the readings of the different heaters and controller. Also I found this great idea of a heater that has apparently been poorly implemented.

Screenshot_20231126_085002_Chrome.jpg

I like this one... separates the temp sensor from the heater body, but attaches to it instead if a separate short cord... unfortunately this thing has terrible reviews but maybe someone has seen this design in a good unit somewhere. Lmk

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco ETC and Johnson Controls A421 industrial controllers both have long probe cables but require some diy to waterproof the sensor (and wire in your outlets). I use the Johnson Controls for several years now and couldn't be happier.

OP
OP
Smoke-Town

Smoke-Town

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ranco ETC and Johnson Controls A421 industrial controllers both have long probe cables but require some diy to waterproof the sensor (and wire in your outlets). I use the Johnson Controls for several years now and couldn't be happier.

Interesting. I use Johnson controls on most of my construction projects. Never thought of them for this purpose. How did you waterproof the probe ? Don't want a zip lock bag in my sump... especially on a $120 temp controller

I've also used 3 different ink birds and those have all failed and I think the probe was short on those too

shwareefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Interesting. I use Johnson controls on most of my construction projects. Never thought of them for this purpose. How did you waterproof the probe ? Don't want a zip lock bag in my sump... especially on a $120 temp controller

I've also used 3 different ink birds and those have all failed and I think the probe was short on those too
Yes inkbirds are garbage IMO and I used an inkbird outlet for the Johnson.

jc.jpg

For the probe I simply sheathed the probe with a long piece of airline tubing, folded it over with a plastic pinch clamp. It's not pretty but it's been in my sump and water proof for a couple years now. I can take a picture later if your need it.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 126 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.5%
Back