Where do you put your thermostat probe?

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - where do you stick your thermostat probe? Display tank, sump, or back chamber? (Which chamber if the back?) and why?

Hello,
I have been reading through some threads and found that many people put their thermostat probes in the actual display tank instead of the sump or rear compartment. I was wondering, where is the best place to put the probe? And why?

(I currently have the probe in my display tank by a power head because I kept getting low flow alerts when I would go into feed mode. I also noticed the schematic showed to have one heater in each second chamber in the back, and then add the probe to one of them AFTER the heater. I have not had a truly accurate reading putting it next to the heater itself - so why not solve two problems and just stick it in the front?)

IMG_1682.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - where do you stick your thermostat probe? Display tank, sump, or back chamber? (Which chamber if the back?) and why?

Hello,
I have been reading through some threads and found that many people put their thermostat probes in the actual display tank instead of the sump or rear compartment. I was wondering, where is the best place to put the probe? And why?

(I currently have the probe in my display tank by a power head because I kept getting low flow alerts when I would go into feed mode. I also noticed the schematic showed to have one heater in each second chamber in the back, and then add the probe to one of them AFTER the heater. I have not had a truly accurate reading putting it next to the heater itself - so why not solve two problems and just stick it in the front?)

IMG_1682.jpeg
Ideally I'd have the probe just upstream of the heaters, in a closely connected (or the same) chamber. So in normal running you are monitoring the water from the display, however, if the pump that powers the All In One filtration fails, the close proximity to the heaters will turn them off. Placing the probe in a remote chamber (display in this case) to the heaters will cause overheating in the event of a pump failure and simultaneous heater thermostat failure, if the heater has one.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 80 76.9%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 10.6%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back