Where do you put your thermostat probe?

Amber.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - where do you stick your thermostat probe? Display tank, sump, or back chamber? (Which chamber if the back?) and why?

Hello,
I have been reading through some threads and found that many people put their thermostat probes in the actual display tank instead of the sump or rear compartment. I was wondering, where is the best place to put the probe? And why?

(I currently have the probe in my display tank by a power head because I kept getting low flow alerts when I would go into feed mode. I also noticed the schematic showed to have one heater in each second chamber in the back, and then add the probe to one of them AFTER the heater. I have not had a truly accurate reading putting it next to the heater itself - so why not solve two problems and just stick it in the front?)

IMG_1682.jpeg

Garf

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TLDR - where do you stick your thermostat probe? Display tank, sump, or back chamber? (Which chamber if the back?) and why?

Hello,
I have been reading through some threads and found that many people put their thermostat probes in the actual display tank instead of the sump or rear compartment. I was wondering, where is the best place to put the probe? And why?

(I currently have the probe in my display tank by a power head because I kept getting low flow alerts when I would go into feed mode. I also noticed the schematic showed to have one heater in each second chamber in the back, and then add the probe to one of them AFTER the heater. I have not had a truly accurate reading putting it next to the heater itself - so why not solve two problems and just stick it in the front?)

IMG_1682.jpeg
Ideally I'd have the probe just upstream of the heaters, in a closely connected (or the same) chamber. So in normal running you are monitoring the water from the display, however, if the pump that powers the All In One filtration fails, the close proximity to the heaters will turn them off. Placing the probe in a remote chamber (display in this case) to the heaters will cause overheating in the event of a pump failure and simultaneous heater thermostat failure, if the heater has one.

Last edited:

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my thermo control probe in my DT as my heaters are controlled by that probe and they will heat up my DT accordingly. When I had the probe in the sump the temp was always warmer than my DT being smaller so it wasn't giving me an accurate DT temp.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If heater is in the sump and probe is in the DT, when you turn off your return for water changes, or if the return dies, clogs, etc…then the DT temp will start to lower, and the heater will kick on, but the DT probe won’t detect any change. So the DT continues to drop, and the sump continues to heat, which can be for hours and hours or however long it takes to realize there is a problem and you can end up cooking all life in the sump

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If heater is in the sump and probe is in the DT, when you turn off your return for water changes, or if the return dies, clogs, etc…then the DT temp will start to lower, and the heater will kick on, but the DT probe won’t detect any change. So the DT continues to drop, and the sump continues to heat, which can be for hours and hours or however long it takes to realize there is a problem and you can end up cooking all life in the sump
My heaters are in the overflow and my tank is basically automated so I can control it remotely, so if the return died I'd get a notification straight away and if need be turn my heaters off.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My heaters are in the overflow and my tank is basically automated so I can control it remotely, so if the return died I'd get a notification straight away and if need be turn my heaters off.

What if your network goes down?

Having the probe near the heater means in a worst case scenario the heater with elevate any water over the controllers set point

aaron186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My temp controller has 2 probes so I measure the input and return of my sump. The water at drain should be same as display or at least close. Before I had this I kept my probe and heater in same compartment in sump. If you turn off returns and your probe is in a different compartment, the heater could continue to heat.

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What if your network goes down?

Having the probe near the heater means in a worst case scenario the heater with elevate any water over the controllers set point
There are systems in place and even if the network goes down the systems still operate.
I also have a probe in the sump and can switch between the 2 to operate my heaters. End of the day it works for me but may not work for everyone.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are systems in place and even if the network goes down the systems still operate.
I also have a probe in the sump and can switch between the 2 to operate my heaters. End of the day it works for me but may not work for everyone.

Pfftt. What if your in range of an emp? Lemme guess. Your tank room is surrounded by a faraday cage?

Joking aside it seems like you have a well thought out, above average setup. Wanna fill us in on it?

shadyraro

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pfftt. What if your in range of an emp? Lemme guess. Your tank room is surrounded by a faraday cage?

Joking aside it seems like you have a well thought out, above average setup. Wanna fill us in on it?
I don’t know what an emp or faraday is lol.
I have a Cade 900 and it’s doing good, what about yourself?

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 11 8.3%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 38 28.6%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 63 47.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 13.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.3%
Back