Best HOB protein skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter JennyG
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

JennyG

Community Member
View Badges
Joined
Aug 2, 2025
Messages
47
Reaction score
38
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello. I just upgraded from a 29 gallon to a 55 gallon. I do not have a sump (plan to add one down the road) but I want to add a protein skimmer. What are some ideas for a skimmer for a 55?
 
I don'k know if its the best but i had really good luck with octo 100 classic on my 75G. stupid simple and reliable. can usually find used for $50
 
The octo classic 1000 and the Aquamaxx 1.5 HOB are the 2 best I've ever used for that size range tank.
 
I ended up landing on a Octo classic 100 many years ago for my 30g tank, but had consistent envy of the performance I saw from my buddy’s Octo classic 1000…

That said, another vote for the Octo classic, get the 1000 if you can find one!
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HOW DO YOU USUALLY MOVE WATER DURING A WATER CHANGE?

  • Buckets

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A siphon or gravel-vac hose

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A pump and hose

    Votes: 2 15.4%
  • A dedicated mixing station

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • A plumbed or automated system

    Votes: 3 23.1%
  • A combination of these

    Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Whatever container is clean at the time

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Water changes? We don't need no stinkin' water changes!

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new