Best indicator coral

RagnarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the best indicator coral for a new tank (to maje sure tank can support a skeleton building coral)? SPS dominant with LPS mixed in. Thinking a Duncan as it makes more sense to start with a less expensive LPS.

>>klong<<

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't know how good of an indicator they are, but I'm totally new and took the plunge on an awesome buy $45 torch (5 heads!), a purple and green blasto and a green birds nest SPS. They're all doing well, with the blasto and green birds nest putting on some noticeable growth. Basically, I searched the web and R2R for 'beginner' LPS and SPS and those came up over and over again.

Upvote 0

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found duncans can be fussy.
Green slimer is a good indicator but if you don't want it long-term is hard to remove from LR.
Green birdsnest, although not my fave coral, is an easy and fast grower. It doesn't encrust to the point you can't remove it in the future and is pretty bulletproof.
The deeper the green w/brown highlights, the better your water params and lighting are.
Pale green and not fuzzy it's showing you something is off.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Candy cane coral

Upvote 0

Greg P

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Birdsnest coral they are very sensitive to everything. Usually the first to die when something is wrong.
I recommended Birdsnest and should have written Green Birdsnest (Seriatopora guttatus) as they can be quite hardy.
If you can keep one alive you're ready to move up to more fussy SPS.

Upvote 0
Back