Best Kelvin for Chaetomorpha Algae.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
So no, it's not necessary... if you don't want to maximize nutrient export with Chaeto.

you make it sound like everybody that isn't doing it your way is doing it wrong.

I love it when I hear statements like that.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
you make it sound like everybody that isn't doing it your way is doing it wrong.

I love it when I hear statements like that.
Only if you take it that way. Are we not here to learn from each other through civilized discussions?

None of the options you presented are wrong, but those of us that have tried the HPS have had great success, and for me the difference in growth is insane.
I think I mentioned earlier that when I added the Chaeto I had zero nitrates showing up on my test kit. And I still don't seem to have any.
Prior to this, i had trouble growing Chaeto at all, even when I had nitrates in my tanks.
Go browse the marijuana forums and see what they are using to grow their plants. It's not a cheap home depot light.
You mentioned that cheaper lights will grow chaeto and I'm not arguing that point. What I did not see you mention is your experience with HPS bulbs compared to the LED.
The OP already stated that he doesn't want to spend the extra dough on the electricity. And there is probably extra heat.
But if neither of those are a concern, my question is why not maximize your growth?

-Logzor

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For awhile I ran the PAR38's that had like 7 red LEDs and 1 blue LED. Grow chaeto like crazy. They were super bright/red magenta colored. No where even near the kelvin you'd see in a CFL or HPS.

My CFLs did great too but after like 2 months my chaeto stopped growing as fast.

Last edited:

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If your only goal is to grow macro algae's then by all means throw the biggest light you can afford on a refugium.

Not my goal, the goal of the OP. But if you want to optimize growth, which is probably the only reason to ask what the best kelvin rating of a bulb to grow algae is, then you need strong light in the right color spectrum. The one d2mini is using looks to be a great option for less than 70 bucks with a bulb. Yes you can grow it with less expensive, less powerful bulbs, but I doubt it will grow as fast, or process as much nutrients.

I do agree that it is an ugly color bulb, so if you want to make an attractive fuge then I'd use something else.

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has anyone tried one of the Kessil grow lights in the red spectrum?

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Something like this
uploadfromtaptalk1426311179199.jpg

I know it's a bit more expensive but if it would supercharge your chaeto growth I think it would be worth it.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do agree that it is an ugly color bulb, so if you want to make an attractive fuge then I'd use something else.
understatement of the year. :lol:
But it's in my fish room so luckily that doesn't matter to me. Definitely not something i'd want near the display tank. lol

Something like this
uploadfromtaptalk1426311179199.jpg

I know it's a bit more expensive but if it would supercharge your chaeto growth I think it would be worth it.
Like someone said above, the red leds seem to work well. That's something i haven't tried. Was looking at them before someone turned me on to the hps.
If someone wants to send me one, I'd be happy to compare it to the HPS! :D ;)

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now they have the H150M for $120 and I think I'm going to buy it. It said in the Kessil website it was comparable for an hps light. My fuge is in my stand and I can't put an hps light there. It would bake the entire sump!

thejuggernaut

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now they have the H150M for $120 and I think I'm going to buy it. It said in the Kessil website it was comparable for an hps light. My fuge is in my stand and I can't put an hps light there. It would bake the entire sump!

That looks very compelling also. Especially for an in-stand sump setup.

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Important to note that cfl's lose lumens pretty quickly. Should be replaced every six months. I think many don't do that and wonder why cheato isn't growing. Switch to another temp (new) and it takes off because of brighter light. Something to consider.
Wow just saw this and might need to change out the bulb. Haven't changed the bulb since I out it in at least a 1 1/2 years ago.

Ms. Mermaid

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesn't really matter what you start with, just try to get a nice little clump. I started with softball sized ball and the HPS light grew it to a beach ball size in a couple weeks.
I let it grow a bit further until it was so big it was no longer able to rotate in my 22"x22" refugium.
Then just pull out another softball sized clump and toss the rest or give it away. And repeat.
Dennis how did you get yours to spin? Mine won't spin.

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dennis how did you get yours to spin? Mine won't spin.

The water flows into the fuge through a spray bar that runs across the top right side of the tank and is shooting the flow across to the left side, so there is a bit of a constant gyre in the tank.

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey all,
So I found a website that offers the Kessil h150 at $97. They also have a video showing the h350m and the h150p. Also this week they seem to be offering a 10% discount so the 150 is like $87. Probably going to pick one up this week. The magenta spectrum seems to be similar to the hps light that d2mini showed.

http://growershouse.com/review/product/list/id/2631/

Joel_155

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my reasoning for going with a high powered fuge light is I'm trying to manage my aquarium with only natural filtration and a skimmer. At this point right now I only have LR, an RDSB, a fuge and a skimmer as filtration. Along with weekly water changes it works fairly well however I want to supercharge my fuge to export more PO4 and I figure that my 12w lamp isn't competing with my two 90w ai sols. I made the purchase of the Kessil h150m and will post results when it arrives. I think this will help my system.

knotsmart

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But a pondering question that I have is said:
The LFS doesn't hold on to stock that long. IMHO the LFS isn't out growing anything, it's product in the back door and out the front. Preferably , As soon as possible. But your very valid question is, " what light is the grower or wholesalers using?"

Stoneyman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just read this thread. Great info. Ive been wanting better chaeto growth and a better light to get me there. Many like an led bulb from Lowes. Dumb question cuz im not a great diy'er with lighting. What kind of fixture do you get to house such a bulb? I cant be splicing red and blue wires mcgyver style lol. I will electricute myself rather easily

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 40.9%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 23 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 39 35.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.7%
Back