Best Lighting Option For 260G Tank

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Porpoise Hork

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine has a 260g tank that's 72X24X36 and is wanting to do something different with lighting. He currently has a pair of 250w halides and three really old radion G2's on it. He's wanting to go all LED but cant drop 2-3K on lighting. It's a mixed reef tank so he'll need some power to hit that depth but able to provide the right spectrum for the corals. I was thinking that a pair of 36" Photon v2's suspended about 8" above the tank should do the trick. Based on the PAR numbers I got on my 75g with the 48" light I figure he could run them at 60-70% to get 125-150 PAR on the sand bed and hit the 250-350 range at the top of his rock work.

Would this configuration work or is there a better way with the reef breeder lights?

Aaron-A2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Possibly (2) 36" Aquatic Life LED/T5 hybrid fixtures with Radion's as the LED option?

I have a 72x24x28 tank and depending on the results of the above fixture on my 90g, I'm going to switch from using pure Radion's to the hybrid setup.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A buddy of mine has a 260g tank that's 72X24X36 and is wanting to do something different with lighting. He currently has a pair of 250w halides and three really old radion G2's on it. He's wanting to go all LED but cant drop 2-3K on lighting. It's a mixed reef tank so he'll need some power to hit that depth but able to provide the right spectrum for the corals. I was thinking that a pair of 36" Photon v2's suspended about 8" above the tank should do the trick. Based on the PAR numbers I got on my 75g with the 48" light I figure he could run them at 60-70% to get 125-150 PAR on the sand bed and hit the 250-350 range at the top of his rock work.

Would this configuration work or is there a better way with the reef breeder lights?

A lot of our customers with 6 foot tanks choose 2 x Photon 32-V2+. You can link them both together with our Photon Link Rail kit as well, and they will both program with the same remote right out of the box. 125-150 PAR would not be hard to get on the sandbed.

Total cost for 2 x Photon 32-V2+ would come in at just under $1,000. We have a coupon code that's good until August 7th for 10% off any lights on backorder (preorder10). Our Photon 32-V2+ is due back in stock the week of August 12th.

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All t5 imo, not spotlight or shadowing

NikoO

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All t5 imo, not spotlight or shadowing

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased two photon 32 v2+ and I'm planning 4 blue plus 60" t5 retro (2 in front, 2 behind) for my 180 build. You could do something similar, depending on your dimensions. If the 36 number is height, you can copy me! If it's width, that's a lot of tank to light and I'd probably consider 4 reefbreeders 32v2+ and 2-4 t5 - maybe a pair in the middle then 1 in front and behind.
Good luck!

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just purchased two photon 32 v2+ and I'm planning 4 blue plus 60" t5 retro (2 in front, 2 behind) for my 180 build. You could do something similar, depending on your dimensions. If the 36 number is height, you can copy me! If it's width, that's a lot of tank to light and I'd probably consider 4 reefbreeders 32v2+ and 2-4 t5 - maybe a pair in the middle then 1 in front and behind.
Good luck!

That's a lot of light! Be careful and run those 32s nice and low. For high light SPS- your target number is 200-225 PAR. Dana Riddle did some testing on Pocillipora and found that to be the peak efficiency for photosynthesis. Having a PAR meter is a big help :)

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Logan, can you recommend a par meter that is “accurate” for LED?

Corey

Hey Corey, the apogee meters are what I typically use. The newer ones account for the high amount of blue light in LED systems- I have found my older MQ-250 to be accurate as well then I tested it vs. a scientific grade meter.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's a lot of light! Be careful and run those 32s nice and low. For high light SPS- your target number is 200-225 PAR. Dana Riddle did some testing on Pocillipora and found that to be the peak efficiency for photosynthesis. Having a PAR meter is a big help :)

Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up going with a single pair of the T5's, could always add a second pair later on if shading is still a problem. I'm aiming for 50-100 PAR on the sandbed, our reef club here in Tampa bay FL has a PAR meter that they rent out for members, $10/yr is worth it just for that...though I haven't used it yet...

Not to hijack this thread but.....I like a pretty blue tank, any suggestions for where to start? The 2x 32" V2+'s plus the pair of 60" t5's will be going over a standard 180, I have not built the hood yet so height is TBD, open to suggestions there too (not TOO high, don't want a massively tall hood). My guess with the pair of t5's would be about 50% on the 3 blue channels and whatever else looks good for aesthetics (probably in the 10-15% range on whites) at say 15" from the water surface and I should end up with a pretty good chunk of the tank at the 200-300 PAR level. Mixed reef sps/lps.

Reef Breeders

ReefBreeders.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the suggestion. I ended up going with a single pair of the T5's, could always add a second pair later on if shading is still a problem. I'm aiming for 50-100 PAR on the sandbed, our reef club here in Tampa bay FL has a PAR meter that they rent out for members, $10/yr is worth it just for that...though I haven't used it yet...

Not to hijack this thread but.....I like a pretty blue tank, any suggestions for where to start? The 2x 32" V2+'s plus the pair of 60" t5's will be going over a standard 180, I have not built the hood yet so height is TBD, open to suggestions there too (not TOO high, don't want a massively tall hood). My guess with the pair of t5's would be about 50% on the 3 blue channels and whatever else looks good for aesthetics (probably in the 10-15% range on whites) at say 15" from the water surface and I should end up with a pretty good chunk of the tank at the 200-300 PAR level. Mixed reef sps/lps.

That sounds about right to me- I would start a little lower and work up to 50% over a few weeks though, just to be safe.

lolmatt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome, I'll have a real build thread here once I get started building the stand and I'll put up some par numbers too hopefully.

Feel free to ship me my lights any time ;)

In all seriousness, I love seeing good products out of stock, usually it means you're doing well and I certainly hope that's the case here!

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Easy,, 3 radions gen4 and 4 DIY T5 lighting with ATI Blue plus bulbs. If its too expensive get a few of the single ones and spread them out. If the radions are too expensive go with 8 DIY T5 bulbs from LET. This all could be done under $800 and the best part is the T5 just rock. If thats too much electricity get some cheap chinese LED and supplement them with some T5, that what i'd do

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 26 40.0%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 15 23.1%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 33.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.1%
Back