Best LPS for beginners?

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi, all - I'm wondering what LPS species are the easiest for coral beginners to keep healthy. I'm thinking about getting back into the hobby after 10 years away, with a BioCube 32 LED. I plan to use stock lighting to start and upgrade it down the road, to spread out the startup costs.

I've kept a couple tanks in the past, with mixed success in keeping anything other than fish. My first tank had a persistent dinoflagellate issue that was compounded by a bunch of rookie mistakes I'm hoping not to repeat, and I eventually decided it was a failed experiment and tore it down. I don't think I'm up to keeping most SPS at this point, but would like to have a variety of LPS, light intensity permitting. I am at least a little familiar with hammers, frogspawn and candy canes, but I think my past record with them shows I still have a bunch to learn. What would you all suggest?

OP
OP
Barry_Cuda

Barry_Cuda

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops... didn't see I'd duplicated another thread with the same question. Not sure if I can delete this, so I guess I'll just leave it up and see if it gets any responses :)

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any of the euphyllia corals (hammer, frogspawn, torch) or Duncan corals are very good for beginners.

VTBig053

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Acans (micromussa lordhowensis) are pretty hardy and come in a wide variety of colors. Micromussa (micromussa amakusensis) are also pretty easy. However, not as many color variations available as with Acans.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 31.4%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 23.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 18.1%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 26.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back