Best magnesium suppliment for nano reefs

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dosing to my tank now for a bit but I realized.. I haven't been dosing magnesium and I notice all consumption is slowly falling. I am dosing seachem 2 part. What magnesium suppliment should I dose?

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have been dosing to my tank now for a bit but I realized.. I haven't been dosing magnesium and I notice all consumption is slowly falling. I am dosing seachem 2 part. What magnesium suppliment should I dose?
Most premade/bottled two parts calcium component contains magnesium as well as other minerals.
It wont be in the alk component due to reaction/precipitation.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most premade/bottled two parts calcium component contains magnesium as well as other minerals.
It wont be in the alk component due to reaction/precipitation.
Okay so I wont have to worry? I have a magnesium test coming in the mail because I totally forgot magnesium is a thing

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay so I wont have to worry? I have a magnesium test coming in the mail because I totally forgot magnesium is a thing

While I recommend to always test for whatever you are adding, contrary to your belief, you have already been adding mag via two part.

Screenshot_20191204-224709_Chrome.jpg

Retro Reefer

Slow and steady wins the race!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

use your new tester and adjust from there, just because there is Mg in your 2 part doesn’t mean your levels are correct

C. Eymann

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I need to adjust what would you reccomend? Brs magnesium? I already have empty jugs for that.
BRS is always a good source, USP grade Epson salt is magnesium sulfate and is acceptable to use in lieu of BRS magnesium chloride- as long as adequate WC are performed on the tank, that makes the potential build up of sulfate to not become a worry.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
FWIW I use the diy two part. The magnesium is part Epsom salts and part magnesium chloride. My initial magnesium correction from 700-800 ppm to 1300-1400ppm took literally pounds of Epsom salts. After that the diy two part with Epsom salts and magnesium chloride worked as prescribed.

my .02

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back