Best Magnesium Test

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d appreciate suggestions from anyone who has done head to head comparisons or checked against a standard solution. I’ve been using the Red Sea kit, but am not sure it’s giving me accurate results. Thx!

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried the Red Sea test. It drove me nuts. I was never able to get consistent results. I use the Salifert test. It works pretty well and the methodology is easy. Bulk Reef Supply really liked the Aquaforest test. I tried it and I prefer the Salifert.

I have an SPS dominant tank. I dose ALK and Ca. I never had to dose Mg because water changes keeps it stable. If I recall right, Randy Holmes-Farley said that Mg consumption was 5% of Ca consumption. I may not remember that one correctly.

OP
OP
BostonReefer300

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who's having trouble with the Red Sea test. I'll try the Salifert test. Interesting point about Ca vs Mg consumption. I'll look into that further. Thanks again

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Red Sea because of it’s accuracy reputation in general. Agree Red Sea mag test is a pain but always thought it was accurate. As confirmed with dosing, then retesting, and api test

FishyFishFish

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend Aquaforest. It might be ok if it had better dropper bottles but mine are very inconsistent.

I’m going to try something else once mine has run out.

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wouldn’t recommend Aquaforest. It might be ok if it had better dropper bottles but mine are very inconsistent.

I’m going to try something else once mine has run out.

I've been using the AF for a few months now and I've found it to be one of the better ones as BRS suggests in their magnesium testing video. However, I agree that the bottles could use some improvement.

Tips:

1. Don't shake the bottles to mix the contents before dispensing. A very gentle swirling is a much better technique (shaking creates air bubbles that result in inconsistent drops).

2. To get the best drop consistency, discard the first drop or two onto something disposable like a paper towel before adding any drops into the test vial.

hhaase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea has been consistent for me, and I guess after a while I’ve just become used to the complexity. I’ll probably try the salifert when this one runs out but not in any rush to replace the Red Sea kit.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 41 32.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 29 22.7%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 33 25.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back