Best Magnet Scraper for Glass

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few posts, searched Amazon reviews, but I am not finding the information that I desire. I have an IM 25 gallon lagoon with 8mm glass. My MagFloat algae scraper (for glass) is mediocre at best.

I have a plastic bladed scraper with a long handle that works well, but the handle interferes with the rock work. I am hesitant to use a razor blade...

Who has a better suggestion?

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think it is a toss up between flipper and tunze. Not sore for something that small.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nano Flipper. Have one for my 13.5 and absolutely love it. It’s a bit pricey but worth it.

Wasabiroot

Valonia Slayer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like my flipper float for my 50g. I change the blade every 6-8 mo, and it does a good job on algae. If the scrub side is the same as mine, I use that less as the blade does what I need

EricR

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Tunze Care magnetic scraper here,,, for which size I'd go with Tunze's recommendation based on glass thickness.

I use the Nano with just the plastic blades and find it works great as long as you keep up on it (maybe weekly).

For harder stuff that hasn't been touched in a while, I go razor blade and just try to be careful.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have seen a few posts, searched Amazon reviews, but I am not finding the information that I desire. I have an IM 25 gallon lagoon with 8mm glass. My MagFloat algae scraper (for glass) is mediocre at best.

I have a plastic bladed scraper with a long handle that works well, but the handle interferes with the rock work. I am hesitant to use a razor blade...

Who has a better suggestion?

Tunze works really well for me, but I've heard a lot of praise for the flipper too..

For really tough once a year spring clean I use the SeaTorch TZ-700 with disposable blades.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another vote for Tunze Care magnetic scraper here,,, for which size I'd go with Tunze's recommendation based on glass thickness.

I use the Nano with just the plastic blades and find it works great as long as you keep up on it (maybe weekly).

For harder stuff that hasn't been touched in a while, I go razor blade and just try to be careful.
OOOh, good to know they have plastic blades. My CUC does a good job, and my pods love the film algae...

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, so is it the blade that works great or the scrubber?
The blade has preformed for me way better than expected. Flipping it is easy for the side you want once you get the hang of it and, it’s thin profile is a big bonus for me. My blade stays in the water and I haven’t seen any rust on it as of yet. I’ve had it for a little over a year now, maybe longer, I don’t remember…same blade. Still works great.

collins.jason.k

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tunze works great. Also have a nice one from Waterbox that works great as well on my larger tank. Was pretty pricey for the waterbox one, but I won a gift card from watching their YouTube live stream so it was free to me. Haven't really used it as much as the tunze, so I'd have to go with Tunze as my recommend based on experience.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
The blade has preformed for me way better than expected. Flipping it is easy for the side you want once you get the hang of it and, it’s thin profile is a big bonus for me. My blade stays in the water and I haven’t seen any rust on it as of yet. I’ve had it for a little over a year now, maybe longer, I don’t remember…same blade. Still works great.
scrubber for film algae and blade for hard spots and shaving off algae. Be careful approaching tank sealant as flipper capable of nipping the tank sealant.
Many favorites out there for algae magnets.

My favorite is Tunze
Flipper is also good especially the float version.

olonmv

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
scrubber for film algae and blade for hard spots and shaving off algae. Be careful approaching tank sealant as flipper capable of nipping the tank sealant.
Many favorites out there for algae magnets.

My favorite is Tunze
Flipper is also good especially the float version.
Haven’t ventured from my flipper because it’s preformed so we’ll but when I do, I think I’ll give the tunze a look.

Snoopdog

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my Tunze but always wash them in fresh water after use. Even though they are "sealed", I had my first fail and leak into the tank.

Reefing102

Metal Halides Til The End
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my flippers. Haven’t tried Tunze. Tried the Hygger of Amazon for my wife’s freshwater tank and it’s junk.

OP
OP
jabberwock

jabberwock

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to follow up on my experience here. I have owned a half dozen or more algae scrapers.

For light work, I am impressed with the KEDSUM. Super powerful magnet, and overall nice result.
kedsum.jpg

The Tunze Nano was not effective at all. It does not accommodate a metal blade. Then I got this Tunze long package, and it does a great job on the toughest of growth. It also flips really well. If you can only get one, get the Tunze Long.
tunze.jpg

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got the Tunze smaller size rated for 3/8 or whatever, not effective really. Maybe the stronger magnet would be better.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you want the best...MightyMagnet

Hold onto your wallet though; they are not cheap.
Holy smoke batman! Anywhere from $150 up to $1,500 for a magnet cleaner! Are the things made of gold, perhaps some platinum?

Someones smoking the good stuff at that company.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 67 35.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 25.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 60 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.2%
Back