Best method for getting my new Blue Spot Puffer in the tank

kcowan83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For those with pufferfish, I have read that using a net to get them in the tank will stress them and can potentially harm the fish if they puff while out of water.

I am ordering quarantined fish from Dr Reef, but still don't want to add foreign water to my tank.

Any tips on the best way to get my new fish in the tank, or for those of you with experience, is the net ok to use?

JC1977

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re that concerned about shipping water in your system and don’t want to expose the puffer to air your best bet is to simply dilute the shipping water with tank water until all that’s left is water from your system. Then get a large enough container to scoop the puffer into in lieu of a net.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
kcowan83

kcowan83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you’re that concerned about shipping water in your system and don’t want to expose the puffer to air your best bet is to simply dilute the shipping water with tank water until all that’s left is water from your system. Then get a large enough container to scoop the puffer into in lieu of a net.
Thanks for the reply. I used a method similar to your suggestion. Diluted the water in about 3 steps, then used the net and a cup to scoup the fish up in the cup, transferred/poured it into a net so the water could drain and then put it in the tank with no incident.

Attachments

• 20230622_131321.jpg
    20230622_131321.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 40
Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back