Pufferfish Stocking Question

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

My partner keeps telling me how cute she thinks pufferfish are. And, I honestly think they're pretty cool too. So, I'm wondering if they are any pufferfish that might do well in my aquarium.

I have a 40 gal reef tank with:
1 Clarki clown
1 African Flameback pygmy angel
1 Midas Blenny
1 Diamond Watchman Goby
1 Scarlet Wrasse
and 3 Pajama Cardinals

I saw that the Central American Sharpnose Puffer only grows to 3.5 inches and is reef safe with caution.

I already have a lot of fish and everyone gets along well, so I'm a bit afraid of messing up a good thing. Any advice is welcome. Thank you!

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Sharpnose puffer last friday! A Chanigaster Papuan to be exact. He is quite the cutie! Collected from Sri Lanka, he is eating Nyos Goldpods and a mixed picky fish frozen food diet. Currently he is quite small and is in my 25g. I think a sharpnose would be a great fit for your tank!

That's awesome! I have some snails. Would they be toast or would the puffer only eat smaller shrimps?

If you keep the puffer well fed (2-4x per day) I don't imagine it would be too much of an issue. From my research it does look like they definitely prefer frequent smaller feedings, I've been feeding 3x per day. If you broadcast feed 1-2x per day you'll probably find it will eat your snails and other small inverts.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Joseph3

Joseph3

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got a Sharpnose puffer last friday! A Chanigaster Papuan to be exact. He is quite the cutie! Collected from Sri Lanka, he is eating Nyos Goldpods and a mixed picky fish frozen food diet. Currently he is quite small and is in my 25g. I think a sharpnose would be a great fit for your tank!

If you keep the puffer well fed (2-4x per day) I don't imagine it would be too much of an issue. From my research it does look like they definitely prefer frequent smaller feedings, I've been feeding 3x per day. If you broadcast feed 1-2x per day you'll probably find it will eat your snails and other small inverts.
Thanks! Are you planning on transitioning him to pellets, or are sharpnose puffers generally picky eaters even after adjusting to a new tank.

All my other fish eat pellets twice a day. I transitioned them from mysis to freeze dried mysis and finally to Hykari pellets. Do you think I could do that with a sharpnose?

Upvote 0

eenoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Are you planning on transitioning him to pellets, or are sharpnose puffers generally picky eaters even after adjusting to a new tank.

All my other fish eat pellets twice a day. I transitioned them from mysis to freeze dried mysis and finally to Hykari pellets. Do you think I could do that with a sharpnose?
I think it would be possible but a bit harder than your average fish. What I've noticed is that he is a very slow and passive eater. He misses most food that goes by him and really only gets a few pieces. Giving it time to settle to the bottom where he picks up what he wants seems to work.

I don't plan to transition as I feed frozen daily regardless.

Upvote 0

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 67 75.3%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back