LED
Budget forced the inevitable switch...I got into building GU10 bulb-based fixtures first due to the high utility and extreme economy.
- 300 watts of halide turned into around 80 watts of LEDs through 30º lenses (a bit like a 3x multiplier for intensity), so power usage and tank-heating almost disappeared.
- I eventually removed the fan from my sump, freeing up a port on my Reef Keeper. Two extra bonuses of switching.
- At $60-$100, I could literally build a new GU10 fixture for less than what I was paying for each bulb replacement*
- I was paying between $70 and $90 per bulb twice a year. (They go quicker at higher wattage.)
- GU10's* cost start at about ($3.50/bulb and socket) * ([tank length/2]-1). You add wire, wire nuts and a structure...maybe a recycled T5 or halide fixture, or something hand built.
LED's were obviously great on paper, but it wasn't an ideal transition. The tanks were packed literally to the surface with huge, grown out colonies of SPS. At that time I hadn't figured out a lot of things about lighting that I've figured out since...and
I essentially cooked everything that was living in the top 6" of the tank. It was massively un-pretty. :( Freed up a lot of space for new growth in the longer run tho. (I have about 15-20 gallons of SPS skeletons in buckets.) What's that about a lux meter? o_O:D
BTW, I still have the halide fixture in case I decide to go back for some reason. ;)
It's a Coralife Aqualight, dual-150w fixture. It was the first piece of equipment I bought brand-new. It priced pretty very competitively, and is supposedly built "european" style with only the necessary parts sealed in the ballast box. Supposedly there's a part (name is failing me..inverter?) that's normally sealed in the ballast box of most fixtures, but is accessible in the hood of this one. I guess it's supposed to be replaced along with the bulb for ideal, consistent performance. Never had to, but it was interesting to learn. Those ballasts got me about 170-180w per bulb. :) I kinda forget what lux I got....measured it only after the fixture was already off the tank.
For whatever all that is worth! :D
* The standard design covers a 12" wide tank - an 18" with different lenses. Two sets of bulbs for 24" wide tanks. For my 36" long x 12" wide tank it could cost as little as $60....even with custom bulbs it'd only be $100 plus whatever I mount the sockets to. (Doesn't have to be a heat sink since the bulbs are integrated with the heatsink and transformer inside the bulb.)