Best nitrate test kit

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi... What's the most accurate no3 test kit that's quick and easy? Hanna or red sea or ? Thx

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Without getting into a conversation about accuracy vs precision, my experience is that Hanna will give the best results for NO3 if you do the test correctly. That being said, your nitrate testing doesn't need to be super accurate---knowing if you have "around" 20 or 10 or 5 or 1 ppm NO3 is usually good enough. I find the salifert NO3 test to be very useful.

fachatga

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Depends. If you’re looking for a gift to somebody you don’t like I’d say Hanna. I use salifert and nyos. Salifert when I’m lazy and just want a close idea in what it is since it’s so easy. Nyos when I really want a better reading since it’s so much easier to read. Ive tested a few times both and always got the same answer. As far as I can tell.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert because I like that you can look through the vial in different directions to get different scales. Also it's cheap, quick, and easy to test with. Although probably not the most accurate.

blasterman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most chemical test kits like salifert have three results: none, a little bit, too much..

I do wish we had a bit more precision.

BostonReefer300

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Most chemical test kits like salifert have three results: none, a little bit, too much..

I do wish we had a bit more precision.
Yes, the chemical tests for nitrate aren't the most accurate or precise. However, "Goldilocks" results (too high, too low, just right) for nitrate is fine for any reef tank IMO. I've never heard of a situation where knowing if you have 5ppm vs 8ppm nitrate for instance was critical. It's not like phosphate when you're trying to dial in the right amount at crazy low levels. Having 0.06ppm PO4 vs 0.01ppm can be the difference between happy corals and a Dino explosion (at least in my tank). For that, one definitely needs the Hanna HI736 ULR Phosphorus in my opinion.

OP
OP
kris2001

kris2001

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx all... What's your opinion about API saltwater no3 kit? Been using that and very difficult to read the colors IMO...

Will look into NYOS, SALIFERT...

Townes_Van_Camp

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thx all... What's your opinion about API saltwater no3 kit? Been using that and very difficult to read the colors IMO...

Years back when I kept cichlids and then into the early stages of my fish only tanks, I used API. There is nothing worse than knowing you nuked a tank because you didn’t spent the extra money on a better test. I always found myself second guessing readings because they were never consistent.

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the Aquaforest No3 test. The Aquaforest nitrate test is simple and very accurate.

That being said the Hanna Low Nitrate test is a pain. I am excited to see that Hanna has a new high range nitrate test that is on pre order right now. The new test has one reagent and the color reader makes for no more guessing.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

In my opinion it can be used to tell if you have high nitrates or low/no nitrate but other than that it isn't much help. With the salifert being a low cost test kit that actually works I'd pick that long before API (on any test honestly).

The two that you're going to look into are your best bets.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 18 18.8%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back