Best option for nitrate reduction

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank thats current fish only but will have coral when stable has an upwards trend with the nitrate and to some degree phosphates,

Tested today

Nitrate 48.9 - up from 35.6 just 9 days ago
Phosphates .22 and was .23 9 days ago

I know i can use phosphate E as i have done previously and rowaphos to control/reduce phosphates but what is the best method to reduce nitrates.

We feed a cube a day for 8 fish

Im not using nopox as i tried that and it nearly killed my leopard wrasse (still not recovered)

Im currently trying a chaeto reactor but its not going well despite having the correct flow, ramping the lighting up and dosing chaeto gro

What are my options

Thanks

immo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank thats current fish only but will have coral when stable has an upwards trend with the nitrate and to some degree phosphates,

Tested today

Nitrate 48.9 - up from 35.6 just 9 days ago
Phosphates .22 and was .23 9 days ago

I know i can use phosphate E as i have done previously and rowaphos to control/reduce phosphates but what is the best method to reduce nitrates.

We feed a cube a day for 8 fish

Im not using nopox as i tried that and it nearly killed my leopard wrasse (still not recovered)

Im currently trying a chaeto reactor but its not going well despite having the correct flow, ramping the lighting up and dosing chaeto gro

What are my options

Thanks
what’s wrong with your chaeto

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up?

Is there anything in there that would be decaying into ammonia and being converted to nitrate in the end like rocks that had a lot of dead organics added?

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How long has the tank been up?

Is there anything in there that would be decaying into ammonia and being converted to nitrate in the end like rocks that had a lot of dead organics added?
Tank been up 3 months, the 75lbs of display rock is new marco rock and 20lbs of 6 month old rock and about 2kg of media was transferred from our old tank.

Nothing has died other than a snail that was removed quickly

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this stage with a mostly new setup with so much dry, I'd say water changes are still going to be your best way to control n03 until the system stabilizes.

There is something wrong with your chaeto reactor if the chaeto is turning to mush. Getting that dialed in will help bring down both n03 and p04 proportionally.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At this stage with a mostly new setup with so much dry, I'd say water changes are still going to be your best way to control n03 until the system stabilizes.

There is something wrong with your chaeto reactor if the chaeto is turning to mush. Getting that dialed in will help bring down both n03 and p04 proportionally.
Just rinsed the brown stuff off the chaeto, its got some body to it still but is way less yhan half what i put in there a few weeks ago

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just rinsed the brown stuff off the chaeto, its got some body to it still but is way less yhan half what i put in there a few weeks ago
(Your macro being half of what it was a few weeks ago means that a bunch has died off , which can be feeding your nitrate issue )

I don't mess with reactors for macro but I'm sure you can find some help here on the board.

Are you dosing anything like cheatogro for the trace elements it needs?

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
(Your macro being half of what it was a few weeks ago means that a bunch has died off , which can be feeding your nitrate issue )

I don't mess with reactors for macro but I'm sure you can find some help here on the board.

Are you dosing anything like cheatogro for the trace elements it needs?
Yes dosing chaeto gro

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your tank is still pretty new. I wouldn't really dose anything at this point. Just let the tank do what it's gonna do. That Chaetogro is most likely your problem.
So youd leave your own tank with nitrates approaching 50 and climbing then

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No. I was referring to the dosing by my comment. Water changes and basic cleaning (blowing out rocks and such) is your best way to go right now. And watch for dying off Chaeto.
Fair enough, yes ive got a skimmer and a roller mat

ptrick21186

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fair enough, yes ive got a skimmer and a roller mat
What test kit are you using? Assuming your kit is accurate I'd have to point my finger at that Chaetogro. My recommendation right now would be to scrap the Chaeto reactor entirely (seeing as how it's not working right), let the tank settle for 3-6 months, then see where you're at and try the reactor again without the Chaetogro

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What test kit are you using? Assuming your kit is accurate I'd have to point my finger at that Chaetogro. My recommendation right now would be to scrap the Chaeto reactor entirely (seeing as how it's not working right), let the tank settle for 3-6 months, then see where you're at and try the reactor again without the Chaetogro
Phosphate and nitrate are tested with hanna checkers

Back