Best Option for Overflow

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is a very opinionated topic, but I have never needed a "Silent" overflow before.. I am setting up my office tank, and due to calls throughout the day I need this thing to be as close to silent as possible.

Now for some brief info about the setup..

The tank is 90 gallons, with a corner overflow with 2 holes pre-drilled that go straight into a filter roller in the sump. The standard durso standpipe plumbing came with it (1 1/2" reduced to 1" and 3/4 return with loc line on the end). I have not added water yet, so I figured this was the perfect time to figure out the best solution. I know a lot of people swear that the durso can be silent, but that seems to be one in a million in my experience.

What are my options here with 2 holes for a practically silent overflow?

Thanks! Can provide pics if needed!

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I am misunderstanding, but my issue stems from the noise that the overflow creates (mostly the gurgling and sucking sounds from the standpipes). I guess my issue is with top side of the tank more than the sump.
I have a lid on my overflow which helps a lot. But I also dialed the water level in such that it only flows primarily down the main pipe (the second being the emergency). Red Sea tanks also have a kind of 'silencer' that they use, and that may be something you can recreate with PVC for your tank.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you drill the back panel? If so I’d have the back drilled for a return line and run a herbie style overflow with the 2 holes in the overflow. You could always run the return over the top too
Thanks for the response. The herbie method actually seems dead quiet when dialed in.. This seems like it checks the boxes. I don't think I can drill the back of the tank, so I would have to run the return over the top.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yup, with two holes, a Herbie is ideal. Use the smaller hole for the siphon so if it clogs, the larger drain can handle the flow.
So turn the 1" into the main drain with a strainer on it, and then buy a 3/4" PVC pipe to cut accordingly and make that the emergency? Also looks like the first part of the plumbing from the bulkhead needs to be a gate valve. Can I go soft tubing from there, or not a good idea?

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So turn the 1" into the main drain with a strainer on it, and then buy a 3/4" PVC pipe to cut accordingly and make that the emergency? Also looks like the first part of the plumbing from the bulkhead needs to be a gate valve. Can I go soft tubing from there, or not a good idea?
You have that backwards. Use the 3/4” as the main and the 1” as the emergency. For drains, I recommend you avoid soft tubing due to the barb fittings creating a restriction.

Tim'sReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not saying a silent tank would be nice. But when it comes to making calls or doing meetings in my office (very small room with 2 reefs) I went the other direction and just use a mic with very nice background noise reduction. Haven't had a complaint.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Whoops! Okay, so I would make a 3/4 piece of PVC at a low height with a strainer hard plumbed into my filter roller with a gate valve just after the bulkhead, then have an emergency drain (1”) that just goes straight into the sump. I like the flexibility of using the flexible plumbing for the return in case I add a UV sterilizer or something down the road, so I may just run with that idea and bring it over the back of the tank. Not thrilled with that idea, but definitely would rather do that than drill the tank.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I made 2 mark ups of what I was thinking. One is with a soft plumbed return, the other with a manifold. Anything I am missing?
1690148304536.png

1690148315147.png

X-37B

Fight The Good Fight
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the standard 2 hole on my 80 and same on old 120 and my 45.
No noise if setup right.
I would never, I know its popular, put any valve on the drain.
I use a ball valve to resduce the flow going into the tank.
On my 120 it went into a filter roller for a few months before I took it off.

Also slowing your rerurn down will help quiet the system.

Aio tanks make no noise. I have 2.

OP
OP
HardyG

HardyG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run the standard 2 hole on my 80 and same on old 120 and my 45.
No noise if setup right.
I would never, I know its popular, put any valve on the drain.
I use a ball valve to resduce the flow going into the tank.
On my 120 it went into a filter roller for a few months before I took it off.

Also slowing your rerurn down will help quiet the system.

Aio tanks make no noise. I have 2.
Thanks for sharing! I have heard people have success with the durso standpipe method, but it just hasn’t been a good history for me with dead silent overflow and drainage. Plus I don’t mind the idea of an emergency drain so much. I just am not crazy about the return going over the back of the tank.. but oh well!

RocketEngineer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Question. Why do the bigger pipe as emergency? Just wondering
Because all things being equal, a 1” drain can carry all the flow a 3/4” drain could. However, the 3/4” drain can NOT carry what a 1” drain can. Therefore, the larger pipe being the backup ensures you don’t have a flood.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 165 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back