Best Par and photo period for LPS and Softies

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m looking to know the best photo period or time of peak lighting and ideal par for my lps and limited softies.
My radon xr15 have a peak lighting period from 12pm to 5pm then they dim down from there.
I’m running AB+ at 60 percent and I’m getting about 100 to 200 par. Is this too much light ?

IMG_4210.jpeg
IMG_4211.jpeg
IMG_4209.jpeg

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar PAR and peak intensity from 11am - 8pm, and my LPS and softies are growing a bit faster than I'd prefer. :upside-down-face:

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have similar PAR and peak intensity from 11am - 8pm, and my LPS and softies are growing a bit faster than I'd prefer. :upside-down-face:
Wow. That’s a long time for peak intensity. I’m 12-5pm. What lights are u running ?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. That’s a long time for peak intensity. I’m 12-5pm. What lights are u running ?

The Red Sea ReefLED 90 on the Max 170e, 100% blue 50% white. I'm at month 8 on this build, mixed LPS/SPS/softies, color + growth has been crazy.

Example: this Duncan went in the tank with 1 head on May 15th, now has 14.

duncan.jpg

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Red Sea ReefLED 90 on the Max 170e, 100% blue 50% white. I'm at month 8 on this build, mixed LPS/SPS/softies, color + growth has been crazy.

Example: this Duncan went in the tank with 1 head on May 15th, now has 14.

duncan.jpg
That’s pretty dang amazing. I’m thinking I’m too strong of light as my hammer seems to be fading and bleaching a bit and my torch is getting thin tentacles

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s pretty dang amazing. I’m thinking I’m too strong of light as my hammer seems to be fading and bleaching a bit and my torch is getting thin tentacles
Hmm... my branching hammer is doing really well with this light -- from 2 heads to 10 in the same timeframe. It's at 180ish PAR.

Other Qs: how new is your tank, and how stable is ph, alk, calcium, etc.? Are you feeding the hammer and torch? What's your flow like where they are?

I've had LPS do well at everything from about 100 PAR to 250 or so. Mine are in medium flow and I feed daily, and I'm hardcore about keeping ph, alk, calcium at target levels.

hammer.jpg

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm... my branching hammer is doing really well with this light -- from 2 heads to 10 in the same timeframe. It's at 180ish PAR.

Other Qs: how new is your tank, and how stable is ph, alk, calcium, etc.? Are you feeding the hammer and torch? What's your flow like where they are?

I've had LPS do well at everything from about 100 PAR to 250 or so. Mine are in medium flow and I feed daily, and I'm hardcore about keeping ph, alk, calcium at target levels.

hammer.jpg
Tank is little over a year old.
Parameters are stable.
Flow is mild
I think my big problem is feeding. I can’t seem to get them to grab and eat the mysis shrimp. I also broadcast feed the tank mysis and pellets.
How do you feed yours and what do you feed them?
I need advice on how to feed, and what to feed as well as how often.

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is little over a year old.
Parameters are stable.
Flow is mild
I think my big problem is feeding. I can’t seem to get them to grab and eat the mysis shrimp. I also broadcast feed the tank mysis and pellets.
How do you feed yours and what do you feed them?
I need advice on how to feed, and what to feed as well as how often.

I've had the most success with broad-spectrum feeding, meaning lots of diversity in food types. I feed twice a day with some daily variation, but always include a mix of larger meaty foods and smaller foods, including phytoplankton. Here's my list:

1. Krill, chopped fine 2x/week
2. Frozen Mysis 2x/day
3. Calanus (frozen and fresh, preserved) 2x/day
4. Fish eggs 2x/day
5. Refrigerated rotifers (preserved) 3x/week
6. Refrigerated oyster tissue (preserved) 3x/week
7. BRS reef chili 3x/week
8. Amino acids 3x/week
9. Phytoplankton (preserved) 1x/day
10. TDO small pellets 2x/day
11. Live pods 1x/month

I get a lot of the foods from Reef Nutrition (phyto, rotifers, oyster tissue, live pods, etc).

It's a high-import/high-export approach.

Some of my LPS have a vigorous feeding response and will grab stuff right out of your hand (the Duncan), others not so much (the Hammer). I keep the pumps off for 15 minutes or so when I drop mysis and krill on the Hammer and usually if you watch really closely it will pull the mysis in, but it's slowwwwwww.

I target feed and broadcast feed; all pumps are off for about 15 minutes, and return pumps stay off for another 15, and the skimmer stays off for an hour after feeding.

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like you have a derasa clam on your sandbed. You'll want way more than 100 PAR for clams. Derasas are more forgiving, but I personally would be aiming for at least 250 PAR and probably shooting for higher. Most important thing is to monitor their shell for new growth. If you don't see new growth, it is probably slowly starving to death

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had the most success with broad-spectrum feeding, meaning lots of diversity in food types. I feed twice a day with some daily variation, but always include a mix of larger meaty foods and smaller foods, including phytoplankton. Here's my list:

1. Krill, chopped fine 2x/week
2. Frozen Mysis 2x/day
3. Calanus (frozen and fresh, preserved) 2x/day
4. Fish eggs 2x/day
5. Refrigerated rotifers (preserved) 3x/week
6. Refrigerated oyster tissue (preserved) 3x/week
7. BRS reef chili 3x/week
8. Amino acids 3x/week
9. Phytoplankton (preserved) 1x/day
10. TDO small pellets 2x/day
11. Live pods 1x/month

I get a lot of the foods from Reef Nutrition (phyto, rotifers, oyster tissue, live pods, etc).

It's a high-import/high-export approach.

Some of my LPS have a vigorous feeding response and will grab stuff right out of your hand (the Duncan), others not so much (the Hammer). I keep the pumps off for 15 minutes or so when I drop mysis and krill on the Hammer and usually if you watch really closely it will pull the mysis in, but it's slowwwwwww.

I target feed and broadcast feed; all pumps are off for about 15 minutes, and return pumps stay off for another 15, and the skimmer stays off for an hour after feeding.
Wow. Awesome info thanks a lot.
What do you use to export nutrients ?
What size tank do you have ?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wow. Awesome info thanks a lot.
What do you use to export nutrients ?
What size tank do you have ?
I have a Red Sea Max e170 with sump, 60g total volume and 37g in the display.

For export: I skim heavily, do 20% weekly water changes, run GFO a few times a week, and use a fleece roller.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the color fading is because I have too much par on them ? Or lack of food?

DiabloJP

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very surprised if PAR was the cause -- those are fairly modest levels and lots of folks have LPS that are thriving under much higher.

In the photos your LPS corals all look pretty healthy to me, but overall your tank looks pretty sterile for a year+.

What kind of rock do you have in there? I started with CaribSea Life Rock but added some live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and it *massively* increased the biodiversity in my tank; I'm certain it's had a significant impact on the coral.

As a step 1 I'd suggest increasing the diversity of your food sources -- add a bunch of live pods, planktonic and smaller stuff along with some other types of meaty foods and see if that makes a difference. There are *hundreds* of food sources circulating in the ocean 24x7, so the closer you can get to that state the more robust your corals will be.

OP
OP
J

Johnic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'd be very surprised if PAR was the cause -- those are fairly modest levels and lots of folks have LPS that are thriving under much higher.

In the photos your LPS corals all look pretty healthy to me, but overall your tank looks pretty sterile for a year+.

What kind of rock do you have in there? I started with CaribSea Life Rock but added some live rock from Tampa Bay Saltwater and it *massively* increased the biodiversity in my tank; I'm certain it's had a significant impact on the coral.

As a step 1 I'd suggest increasing the diversity of your food sources -- add a bunch of live pods, planktonic and smaller stuff along with some other types of meaty foods and see if that makes a difference. There are *hundreds* of food sources circulating in the ocean 24x7, so the closer you can get to that state the more robust your corals will be.
Ok so I won’t adjust par and feed more. I need to make sure I don’t over feed and watch my nitrates and phosphate.
I had dead rock in there but I’ve added a ton of different bacteria’s and I think I have it biodiverse.
Should I add a piece of rock from Tampa bay saltwater ?

JoJosReef

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok so I won’t adjust par and feed more. I need to make sure I don’t over feed and watch my nitrates and phosphate.
I had dead rock in there but I’ve added a ton of different bacteria’s and I think I have it biodiverse.
Should I add a piece of rock from Tampa bay saltwater ?
Adding TBS rock and sand is a major boost, in my opinion. Keep the algae at bay and the kife from those rocks will spread all over

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 31.0%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.4%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 46 35.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.9%
Back