Status
Not open for further replies.

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that is why i hate the name "yellow coris". I use Canary wrasse because it is not even a coris, a totally wrong name for them. I have had no issues with my canary wrasse period. And i doubt it will, but then they are fish and technically "wild" so i guess they can do anything.
Krayon, i highly doubt you saw a Canary wrasse eat a shrimp. There are at least 3-4 wrasses that you could easily have confused it with.

ca2or

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How about a melanurus wrasse?

I have a Melanurus Wrasse and he is totally chill. Nothing pest wise survives in my tank thanks to him, and he doesn't pick on anything fish, coral, or invert wise.

I will note however, when my tang....yes my tang....started to eat cleanershrimp....as soon as the shredding started the wrasse joined in....well....so did the triggers....and the chromies....and the clowns....I guess everyone did so nevermind. But I know for a fact that it was my Purple Tang that started it everytime. He has killed 5 cleaner shrimp. MY TANG! But when I think back I do have to admit....the wrasse did eat my arrow crab....at least that is what I am assuming as I saw my arrow crab 2 hours before I saw my wrasse swim out from behind the rocks with 2 large legs sticking out of his mouth....haven't seen my arrow crab since. But I currently have 1 cleaner shrimp left and the wrasse lets him clean him....hasn't eat or nipped at him yet. I am sure all of that will change when my tang starts in again.

Last edited:
I

inactive

View Badges
that is why i hate the name "yellow coris". I use Canary wrasse because it is not even a coris, a totally wrong name for them. I have had no issues with my canary wrasse period. And i doubt it will, but then they are fish and technically "wild" so i guess they can do anything.
Krayon, i highly doubt you saw a Canary wrasse eat a shrimp. There are at least 3-4 wrasses that you could easily have confused it with.

First off, the name is Kraylen, not "Krayon" so you telling me what I am "confusing" is irony in itself. I've sold more fish than you can claim to own so I guess I'll just keep my experiences to myself when "experts" who have had small H.chrysus for smaller periods of time happen to chime in. I agree, its not a true coris wrasse but it is still a halichoeres which pretty much destroy shrimp when they get big enough. Either way, I don't know what I'm talking about. lol

Pitcom

Not Reef Safe
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You are 100% correct on the naming. It has always been somewhat confusing. Yellow Coris became a popular name out here because thats what they are listed as on the fish order forms for the store. But you are correct in that they are not even a real coris.

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For the OP, I recommend the Canary wrasse, but as you can see, not everybody shares that opinion. I have not had an issue with mine and would not hesitate to get another one if needed. It has been a model citizen. I have never heard of anybody, except this guy, have any issues with them either.

O and Krayon, no mistake on the name, just getting a kick out how easily you get all riled up.... LOL

Last edited:
I

inactive

View Badges
Name calling isnt allowed here. You should read the rules before you know your place.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Name calling isnt allowed here. You should read the rules before you know your place.
my apologies to the site for breaking the rules then, won't happen again. But Kraylen, you may want to reread your posts before you accuse someone of "breaking the rules"

If this is the "yellow" wrasse we are referring to then I can say I have one in my tank. I have no cleaner shrimp but put 3 peppermint in there for aptasia and he went after the shrimp. I saw him pulling one out of the rocks. Needless to say I have no more peppermint shrimp. The only other shrimp I have in the tank is a pistol.

FreshMarine.com - Golden Coris Wrasse - Halichoeres chrysus - Golden Wrasse - Canary Wrasse - Buy Cheap Golden Coris at Wholesale
Yes, that's the one. I'm sorry to hear about that. As with all fish, there are the exceptions. I feel the Canary Wrasse has gotten a bad wrap, IMO, since it is so misnamed. I've heard of Tangs that have eaten a shrimp, so go figure. I have not had issues with mine, so that is why i recommended it. Maybe i just have gotten lucky or my cleaner is so big the wrasse is afraid of it, who knows, but as a hunter of zoo eating amphipods, as the OP asked about, this is the fish to get. BTW, Paul, thank you for being civil with your response.

Murfman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is the Wrasse I have. I had two in a 125 and neither messed with a Coral Banded, Cleaner or my pistol shrimp.

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll get a small canary wrasse then... I have tons of baby margarita snails though. Upwards of 200, will it eat those?

I

inactive

View Badges
It sure can, but may not. Take the risk if you'd like.

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ehh! I hate taking risks when it comes to fish, it always turns out bad. But I guess I'm due a nice fish, maybe I'll give it a shot. I would like a mystery wrasse but they're mean. A sixline would probably get aggressive. Nobody answered me on the fourline? And on the flasher. Will a McCosker's flasher wrasse eat pods?

I

inactive

View Badges
Fourline is going to be the same as a sixline. Same family as the mystery also and IME my mysteries have been more well behaved than a 4 or 6 line wrasse. Bottom line, they are all kiind mean but some fish are hit or miss on it.

Angels 2010

Wrasse-a-holic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the thing about all these wrasses that hasn't been addressed yet is that they are known jumpers, so if you don't have a net top, then i would suggest against them...

Another thing, let's leave Kraylani alone as she/he obviously has issues. Anybody that ticked off at the world and their own life is much better ignored...

OP
OP
Dylan

Dylan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do have a top so that's no problem.

And I don't see what Kraylen did wrong. He just tried to help me out with his own experiences.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 8.1%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 39 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 149 66.8%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.7%
Back