Best phosphate Remover

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looking for ideas on the best phosphate remover.

System Specs
redsea 45 gal with trigger sump and fuge
I also have a chato reactor
I have another reactor that has blue life 1. Nitrate 1. Phos Fx 1. Organic Fx
Then I have 2. Clear Fx in my sump between my fuge and return section
I use NoPox 10 ml every day
I have a Nyos 120 skimmer
Water changes every two weeks. 25 gal over two days. I use a Neptune DOS for my water changes

Tank Specs
Salt 35
Alk 12
Calc 435-450
Mag 1440
Nitrate 5
Phosphate .24 Today

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used rhowaphos in a deltec FR509 reactor for about 2 years in combination with the Nopox your already using, simply because Nopox wouldn’t keep phosphate in check to my target of 0.03ppm or thereabouts

I can highly recommend it. Just maybe take it slowly to start so your corals can adjust to the reduction in phosphate levels. Possibly use smaller amounts to start of with and see how you go.

There are other GFO’s but this is my personal preference.

Last edited:

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For me, a gfo reactor does the trick. Where is the PO4 coming from?

KEITH FERGUSON

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There's a product called ATM agent green ( containes lanthanum chloride ) I use it at half recommended dose. Worked for me. it comes from acrylic tank manufacturing.....

glb

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure. I have kinda of a high bio load for a 45 gal.
Manderin, flame angle, clown, 6 line, 2 purple firefish and my pride and joy purple tang
Could be the number of fish or possibly overfeeding. I’ve used Nopox for high nitrates and the gfo for high phosphates. With a good skimmer and nutrient removal method you should be able to keep it under control. Water changes help too. Once things are under control you could probably get away with biweekly changes. How long has the PO4 been high? If it’s a relatively new tank and you used dry rock, it could be coming from the rock too.

OP
OP
Coral Newbie

Coral Newbie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tank is almost 2 yrs old. To be honest I haven't really be tracking either until I noticed a change about 3 months ago with my acros browning out and even then only was tracking nitrates. Stupid me I just assumed that since my nitrates were going down my PO4 would be as well. I change my feeding about two weeks ago. The Neptune feeder seems to only have two setting, either almost no food or a ton. I have moved the setting to almost no food and reduce feeding to once a day. I add a feeding every other day manually.

I run a pretty high dkh at around 12 +/- so I was comfortable with my Nitrates running higher. That was the reason for not test the nitrates.

I picked up some Brightwell Aquatics Phosphat-E yesterday from my LFS so I will see if that helps.

I took readings last night and was 0 on nitrates and .23 on phosphate.

Could be the number of fish or possibly overfeeding. I’ve used Nopox for high nitrates and the gfo for high phosphates. With a good skimmer and nutrient removal method you should be able to keep it under control. Water changes help too. Once things are under control you could probably get away with biweekly changes. How long has the PO4 been high? If it’s a relatively new tank and you used dry rock, it could be coming from the rock too.

Cory

More than 25 years reefing
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This may not be what your looking for but the best po4 remover is a waterfall algae turf scrubber. :)

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 48 34.8%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 29 21.0%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 11 8.0%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 10 7.2%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 36 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.9%
Back