Best powerheads with Apex?

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What powerheads does everyone use with the apex? Ours gave us a pretty good shock tonight so it's coming out of the tank - trying to decide if a standalone powerhead controller like the tunze is best, or if I should use the Apex to control them.

Our old powerhead was a hydor, and I had it plugged into an outlet so it could be shut off for feeding. We have a 40B so a lot of the recommended ones on BRS seem way too powerful for the tank - any recommendations people have would be great!

Bob Escher

Welcome to Saltwater
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new ones can be downgraded to run with a wxm module. So I’m not concerned about it. Myself I want to run everything under one controller if at all possible

135reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with the Vortech. Had four MP40s on our last tank. Building the new 160 in-wall with up to 6 MP40s. I like having a spare pair of wet sides. Quick swap and clean the dirty heads water soaking when I have time. Picked up a spare WXM module before they all dry up.

Oneway

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's your thought on a new Mobius enabled mp10 vs finding an older one with a WXM module?
I actually upgraded 2 mp10wqd vortechs to try out the mobius app, within 24 hours I downgraded the firmware and put them back on my wxm. For me I like everything under one roof so to speak. Definitely go with vortechs, the hype is real.

Albertan22

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also use Vortechs with a WXM and am very happy. For what it’s worth, I’m still running MP40ES models that predate the quiet drives that I bought new. They’ve been running for close to a decade, though I have replaced the wet sides once.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
WAV pumps by apex and very powerful

U

User1

View Badges
WAV pumps by apex and very powerful

They are. Only thing I personally do not care for them is their size and bad reputation. But easy integration naively is nice to have.

I like one system for control. I don't like using device A app, device B app, etc. It really is down right stupid and the bane of this hobby. Having said that if you want native integration Neptune's pumps are a good choice. If you want inter connectivity between companies then the MP's with a downgrade firmware are a good choice. You can also do the Gyre's with the ice cap module. The question comes down to the display, size, coral maturity, and what sort of look are you going for. Each has something that will offer a cleaner or more clean look within the display.

Having said that and owning a Neptune Apex I went with Gyre's and am not using any middle ware to connect. I'll be removing those all together here shortly as I add another pair of 1" sea swirls. My preference is to have a cleaner look so large power heads are not an option (or cords).

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually upgraded 2 mp10wqd vortechs to try out the mobius app, within 24 hours I downgraded the firmware and put them back on my wxm. For me I like everything under one roof so to speak. Definitely go with vortechs, the hype is real.

Do you need the reeflink to be able to downgrade the firmware?

edit: figured it out! I was using my android phone, had to borrow husband's iphone to get the mobius app. So glad I got my hands on a used WXM!

Last edited:

Philly Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex wav would be too big and powerful for a 40B IMO.
Mp10 is the way to go. I am thinking of gyre in the future. But dunno if I can add that to apex

OP
OP
somekindabonita

somekindabonita

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The apex wav would be too big and powerful for a 40B IMO.
Mp10 is the way to go. I am thinking of gyre in the future. But dunno if I can add that to apex

Very happy I went with an MP10! Still messing with setup, but so far corals seem to love the varied flow patterns.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.1%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 22 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 25.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back