Best price on GFO

lazidog

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 500 gallon system, where is the best place to purchase GFO in bulk (5gallon or more) without breaking the bank, got some off e-bay it was not bad but too much dust, and micro particles. Would rather keep using this than spend a ton. Any suggestions?

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well cheap and high quality don't really go together in this aspect in my opinion. I will recommend one that works, 99% dust free, rinses with very little water. BRS HC GFO is twice as potent as anything else in my opinion. I run 1/2 a cup in my 240 gallon display tank with a 90 gallon sump. It needs to be changed out about once a month with my bio load. So depending on your bio load it would be 1 cup plus a month.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a 5 gallon bucket on eBay from TL Reefs and it is exactly the same as what you can get from BRS - $200 shipped.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks just like the stuff that you get from BRS - not the high capacity, but the regular.
How much dust?
In my experience the non HC took forever to rinse and has a lot of dust. I would stick with the HC as it's much larger pieces and you literally use half of the non HC for the same results, and the HC rinses clean in under 5 seconds. I threw a gallon jug of the non HC in the trash as it was almost all dust. Could I have gotten a bad jug sure but for the cost I went back to HC GFO.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use it to lower the P in live rock that I pick up as people quit the hobby, so my needs are not all that pressing, but sometimes it does take a lot of it. I use it in a Phosban reactor and it rinses clean with about 32 ounces of water - I use the pump and tank water in reverse flow until it runs clear. I do soak it in RO for a little while before I try and rinse it... maybe this helps.

Hitman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I only use it to lower the P in live rock that I pick up as people quit the hobby, so my needs are not all that pressing, but sometimes it does take a lot of it. I use it in a Phosban reactor and it rinses clean with about 32 ounces of water - I use the pump and tank water in reverse flow until it runs clear. I do soak it in RO for a little while before I try and rinse it... maybe this helps.
That's a great idea to help rinse it. I tried it in a sock and I filled my sump with crud, then in a reactor and I swear I lost half while flushing it. I never thought to rinse it first before putting it in the reactor, I bet it would have saved me a ton of trouble and headaches. It definitely does work I just like the easy ( lazy ) way that the HC rises so easy. Lol I'll definitely have to keep your way in mind if I get in a pinch and have to buy that one again.

Back