New to the Hobby and trying to pick out a Tank

Samwel14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone! I am new here and to the hobby as a whole. I have spent the last few months researching and I think I am getting close to making a tank purchase but I could use some help/advice. I have decided that a 120 gallon(ish) tank is what I am most interested in as I feel very confident I will thoroughly enjoy the hobby and do not want to get a 40 gallon or smaller tank and then want to upgrade and spend a lot more money shortly after starting the hobby. Also. I intend to do reef ready or sump set up for my tank. I have been looking online and haven't been able to find a ton of reviews on tanks and cabinets of this size. I am wondering if anyone has strong feelings one way or another on the Red Sea, Waterbox, Nyos or other tank and cabinets out there that are close to the 120 gallon size (im not completely opposed to a tank as small as 60 gallons but I feel I would rather have the larger tank). Also, I don't necessarily wan't to break the bank but I am not opposed to spending money for a high quality tank so long as it is actually high quality. So recomendation of all price ranges are more than welcome! I would love any other advice for selecting the right tank and cabinet and hearing about your thoughts on different tank brands!

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people in this hobby have beautiful tanks that they decide to sell, often for pennies on the dollar because once they set it up they have life changes that make them interested in selling and getting out of the hobby or just getting a different setup to better fit their needs.

I think you have done enough research to know what you think you want/need but once your setup you will realize that another configuration would be better. Larger, smaller, flatter or even in a different room with different space constraints, the hobby is likely to charge as you go along.

All that to say, find a good used set up and bringing that to your home is a wise path imo/ime to start. It minimizes the urge to purchase a bunch of expensive things that might be helpful and allows one the opportunity to experience the challenges (water changes, water quality, pests, lighting issues et ct and gives you a lower cost entry into the game that allows greater flexibility as you grow into the joy of reefing, or fishes, plants, coral and everything else that you might need later.

I bought a used fish tank for my wife to put in her house. She said she wanted something small and easy to keep “ her fishes “ where she could see them in the house. Before that her fishes were feeding my corals in the garage and she thought she wanted a small tank, but she has 4 tangs…..
I got a tank stand sump and pumps and skimmer and a bunch of back up pumps and whatever for a few hundred bucks, or about the price of the sump new.
Then she wanted an anemone and coral and I spent three times the purchase price to upgrade the light fixtures, which I new was coming.
Lots more to say but we love our tank of fishes and I saved a couple of house payments by buying used from someone who was done with their tank and wanted the space back. They were so excited to see me take it out of their house knowing that it would be enjoyed in our home.
Hth.

OP
OP
S

Samwel14

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lots of people in this hobby have beautiful tanks that they decide to sell, often for pennies on the dollar because once they set it up they have life changes that make them interested in selling and getting out of the hobby or just getting a different setup to better fit their needs.

I think you have done enough research to know what you think you want/need but once your setup you will realize that another configuration would be better. Larger, smaller, flatter or even in a different room with different space constraints, the hobby is likely to charge as you go along.

All that to say, find a good used set up and bringing that to your home is a wise path imo/ime to start. It minimizes the urge to purchase a bunch of expensive things that might be helpful and allows one the opportunity to experience the challenges (water changes, water quality, pests, lighting issues et ct and gives you a lower cost entry into the game that allows greater flexibility as you grow into the joy of reefing, or fishes, plants, coral and everything else that you might need later.

I bought a used fish tank for my wife to put in her house. She said she wanted something small and easy to keep “ her fishes “ where she could see them in the house. Before that her fishes were feeding my corals in the garage and she thought she wanted a small tank, but she has 4 tangs…..
I got a tank stand sump and pumps and skimmer and a bunch of back up pumps and whatever for a few hundred bucks, or about the price of the sump new.
Then she wanted an anemone and coral and I spent three times the purchase price to upgrade the light fixtures, which I new was coming.
Lots more to say but we love our tank of fishes and I saved a couple of house payments by buying used from someone who was done with their tank and wanted the space back. They were so excited to see me take it out of their house knowing that it would be enjoyed in our home.
Hth.
Thank you for the advice! Any tips on the best places to find used gear?

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get wanting all in one box with plumbing and sump all together. It's so much easier if your not into plumbing yourself. I can plumb but it's ugly but also in the basement so it doesn't matter. I have 2 redsea systems in addition to the one I plumbed. I have not had any trouble with either but they are smaller, a reefer 300 and a 170. That being said I would not purchase a larger redsea system just due to the seam failures reported.
Please do not turn this into a redsea tank failure thread as that will not benifit the OP but I thought it should be mentioned and the OP can look into it if they haven't already.

I have no experience but really liked the innovative marine systems when I was researching a few months ago. I was really attracted to the aluminum stand construction. At the end of the day the redsea reefer 300 g2 had the exact demensions I was looking for so I went that route.
As stated used in another option. Craigslist or maybe Facebook market place as a place to look? You just need to look everything over really well. Check silicone seams and such. Also look for scratches. Some people list tanks that are not cleaned very well so it can make seeing scratches difficult. Scratches on the front panel can be really annoying, at least to me.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back