Best protien skimmer

  • Thread starter Thread starter iamurri33
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

iamurri33

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 8, 2015
Messages
339
Reaction score
36
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am looking to get a new protien skimmer.. I don't want to really be over 300$ but I have a 125gal with 30 gal tall sump. I want the best skimmer I can get for the heaviest bioload so if I ever upgrade I don't have to worry about the skimmer being to little. I have a coralife right now but the dang think over flows all the time out of nowhere!! All help is good. Thank you! It is going to have to go in the refugium area till I get a bigger sump

1454976595145.jpg
 
Or if there's any really good hob skimmers that I can hang on the middle Glass piece in sump
 
An Urchin Pro or Remora Pro are the go-to skimmers for that scenario IMO.

How deep is the water in the fuge?
 
I think that's pretty high for a lot of skimmers. I don't know how your current skimmer is set up (it's not in the pic, is it?) but that could be part of its issue.

The urchin or remora will be fine though.
 
I have a hob hanging in my fuge, I can put the skimmer on egg crate so it's only 9" or whatever it calls for in water
 
Coralife point of sale lol there known for overflowing out of the blue
 
there is no best protein skimmer. only oversize skimmer is the best and $$ probably
 
There are better brands than others.. as if I had a coralife 220 vs an asm rated for 220.. I just want something that pulls out good skimmate. I'm not to familiar with the other brands so just swing what's out there..
 
i only believe on venturi skimmer such as lifereef pulled out good amount of skimmate. Needle wheel skimmer is good but much likely dependable on the pump. But they are 300$+ for sure when we talks about good skimmer these day
 
3 letters


A....S....M

Honestly one of the better skimmers out there for the price. And easily modded to fix the "problems" (gate valve mod, wire mesh mod) but honestly I don't feel the mesh mod is even needed on these.
 
I have an RO XS 160 that I've been very happy with. If I were you I'd look at the RLSS lines
 
I know it's over your price range, unless you find a used one, but Lifereef skimmers are all I'll use any more.....they just work, and work quite well.

I'm not saying other skimmer aren't good, and I've used my fair share (Aqua-C, Aquamaxx, Deepwater, GEO, BM, Skimz, etc.) just not AS good in my opinion.
 
I am looking to get a new protien skimmer.. I don't want to really be over 300$ but I have a 125gal with 30 gal tall sump. I want the best skimmer I can get for the heaviest bioload so if I ever upgrade I don't have to worry about the skimmer being to little. I have a coralife right now but the **** think over flows all the time out of nowhere!! All help is good. Thank you! It is going to have to go in the refugium area till I get a bigger sump

1454976595145.jpg
Look at the ATB 840 Skimmer :cool:
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 2 3.5%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 16 28.1%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 6 10.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 3 5.3%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 7 12.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 3 5.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new