Best rock to use is new tank

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anybody sees what BRS produces as anything more than a vehicle to fuel sales, then I strongly suggest that you change your paradigm. There are sometimes some nuggets in there that are unbiased, but they are there to sell products. I hope that all understand this.
When they show experiments and explain in detail the methods they used to compare I tend to take those videos more seriously while the videos showcasing different products and just explaining their advantages and disadvantages based on the opinions of whatever BRS employee is talking are not so useful.

Like, they did a refugium series and one of the videos demonstrated different qualities of light from a cheap fluorescent bulb from home depot (or something like that) all the way up to a kessil. Obviously they want to sell kessils, but because they had data and could demonstrate and quantify the different performance of the lights I think the video was useful.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you treat aiptasia? Specifically in a 300 gallon tank (hard to get deep inside the rockwork?
Kalk paste is a sure way to get rid of them .

nudi , matted file fish ? Copper band butterflyfish ? Peppermint shrimp ,
but kalk and nudi are by far the best .

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I avoid jumping on the dry rock band wagon to save a few dollars and elaborating on the pests topic .

red flatworms …,,

they did not come from live rock ,
And the only 2 lfs I buy frags from deny ever having flatworms . ( a different visit one admitted to dosing flatworm exit to their display tank )
It took me almost a year to get rid of flatworms without using chemicals .
Flatworms are the devil !

tharbin

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do go the quarried or manufactured rock route you may want to watch the most recent video from BRStv on Cycling a Tank (released Jan 28, 2022--much more current thinking than the one from 6 years ago). It is actually pretty good and I would not hesitate to recommend the approach to anyone starting a new tank with quarried/manufactured rock.

I don't know how to link a YouTube to my post so you will have to go and look for it. Sorry.

Last edited:

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 71 75.5%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 11 11.7%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 7 7.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

Votes: 2 2.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back