My first 40 breeder

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Welcome to R2R!

There's lot's of help here for sure. Search around a bit on 'cycling new tanks", there's a few ways to do it.

Personally, I'd suggest using a 'fishless' cycle method. This is one of the fastest methods to cycle a new tank (second only to using well established live rock and sand), and doesn't harm or stress the fish. It uses bottled bacteria and bottled ammonium chloride.

EDIT: This video may help:
BRSTV Fishless Cycle Method How To

If you do decide to use a fish to cycle your tank, Clownfish are often a top choice. You're looking for a very hardy fish that can withstand the stress of elevated ammonia during the cycle.

If you can find it or are willing to order it (not cheap!), you can start a tank almost instantly with well established rock and sand. You can also "seed" your tank or filter media by adding just a little established rock or sand to your mostly dry rock and sand. Or by adding precycled filter media like rock rubble or ceramic bio balls to your sump or filter section. Lot's of options for sure.

Cycling a tank is very much like making Italian Sunday Tomato Sauce, everyone has their own methods and tweaks, so do some research, ask more questions, and do what you feel is best for your tank.

Good luck!

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please do not use a fish to cycle the tank, thats sad, just go buy a bottle of bacteria and leave the fish out of the tank until the tank is cycled.

Also be aware that a lot of research is needed for success in the hobby, this is a good starting point:

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Ryan welcome to the reef. I discovered this forum as it seemed to always come up when I googled a question. Finally joined, then chose to become a supporting member and later a partner member to keep the forum available for others to come. My wife @Ocean_Queenie and I started culturing copepods and phytoplankton eventually selling some on here as a hobbyist. Eventually we decided to try to make a career out of it so we are now sponsors as well. I love the Reef2 Reef community here and the wealth of knowledge. Thanks for joining us.

Reef By Steele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
As for the cycle, many will speak against the fish in cycle. I have used it many times, but on larger tanks with 1-2 fish max. I also have water ready for changes at all times so if the ammonia starts to climb I can do water changes.

As for a clean up fish for a start, this can be a little tricky. About the best clean up fish, I like the lawnmower blenny, but not so sure it should be the first fish in a fresh tank. If doing a fish in cycle, I use aquavitro seed, and dose the recommended amount daily, along with prime to neutralize the ammonia. Our smallest tank is a 75 with sump, so about double your volume. The smaller the tank the higher your ammonia will be.

The suggestion of a clownfish I would avoid. They are a truly hardy fish, but they can be terribly territorial, so may make later additions more challenging.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A 40 gallon breeder is an excellent choice for a first tank.

1. Its a good size where chemistry swings will be more subtle.
2. It isn't deep, so good light penetration with a less expensive light.
3. Nice footprint for a lot of aquascaping room.

eliaslikesfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
40 gallon is what I started with as well. Fantastic choice! I did my cycle with no fish and everything turned out beautifully. Left it there with the filter running and no lights for a month, tested at the end of that month for any nitrites and ammonia and as soon as both were at zero I added my first fish.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 47 16.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 18 6.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 35 12.3%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 164 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 19 6.7%
Back