Coral lighting

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 29 gallon tank up and running still working on the cycling process. It’s the 30 inch not the cube. I need help with some lighting. I don’t know what to get or what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something with a lower priced point. I know nothing is cheap in this hobby. I still don’t know much about corals and don’t want to find out I don’t have enough light to grow a coral I wanted later on. If that all makes sense.

One other question, I have 2 lbs of quality live rock I got from a cycled tank with a lot of other dry rock and 5lbs of live sand with dry sand mixed. I used seed by aquavitro. I tested the first day but didn’t test till yesterday which was day 13.
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
And no nitrate detected
I have a feeling it didn’t start the cycling process yet should I get some ammonia?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have my 29 gallon tank up and running still working on the cycling process. It’s the 30 inch not the cube. I need help with some lighting. I don’t know what to get or what I’m looking for. I’m looking for something with a lower priced point. I know nothing is cheap in this hobby. I still don’t know much about corals and don’t want to find out I don’t have enough light to grow a coral I wanted later on. If that all makes sense.

One other question, I have 2 lbs of quality live rock I got from a cycled tank with a lot of other dry rock and 5lbs of live sand with dry sand mixed. I used seed by aquavitro. I tested the first day but didn’t test till yesterday which was day 13.
Ph 7.8
Ammonia 0.25
Nitrite 0.25
And no nitrate detected
I have a feeling it didn’t start the cycling process yet should I get some ammonia?
If adding wet live rock, that rock is already cycled. Have you added any ammonia source that would create nitrate?

For lighting it will depend on which corals you want to keep, along with how many bells and whistles you want.

Cheapest would be black box lighting like Mars aqua, philzon etc... These will grow anything. Down side is no customization and IMO they make the tank look washed out and weren't appealing to the eye.

You have 3 months before you should try some easy coral and even longer if you have your eye on LPS or SPS. Plenty of time to save and research.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If adding wet live rock, that rock is already cycled. Have you added any ammonia source that would create nitrate?

For lighting it will depend on which corals you want to keep, along with how many bells and whistles you want.

Cheapest would be black box lighting like Mars aqua, philzon etc... These will grow anything. Down side is no customization and IMO they make the tank look washed out and weren't appealing to the eye.

You have 3 months before you should try some easy coral and even longer if you have your eye on LPS or SPS. Plenty of time to save and research.
No I have not added any ammonia source.
Yes it was live wet rock from a cycled tank.
Do you have suggestions on a light that won’t make it looked washed out.
What am I looking for in a light ?

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No I have not added any ammonia source.
Yes it was live wet rock from a cycled tank.
Do you have suggestions on a light that won’t make it looked washed out.
What am I looking for in a light ?
What type of coral are you trying to keep? What is your budget to do so?

P.S before I get creamed, there are plenty of people happy with black boxes. I was also until switching to Kessil and seeing the difference.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of coral are you trying to keep? What is your budget to do so?
I’m not exactly sure on the coral. I need to do more research but I don’t want to get a light that doesnt allow me to get a coral that later on down the road I learn about. Something that’s kinda flexible. It doesn’t have to be super fancy.
150- 300 I would say.

jsargent1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   2   0
Kessil and radion all the way, worth the price and customer service/warranty claims are dealt with promptly. Had an a160we that crapped out, they gave me a good discount on a new light and had it in 3 days

Jekyl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m not exactly sure on the coral. I need to do more research but I don’t want to get a light that doesnt allow me to get a coral that later on down the road I learn about. Something that’s kinda flexible. It doesn’t have to be super fancy.
150- 300 I would say.
Like I mentioned before you have months to consider and save. Coral shouldn't be added too soon to a tank. The type of coral you keep will be in direct relation to the lighting needs.

Take this time to check out all of the different coral or anemone and their needs. Black box, red sea, ai prime are the usual go to lights on a budget. You can check out bulkreefsupply.com or Amazon for pricing. From there see testimonials on this site for how they work for which coral.

Nothing happens quickly in this hobby and I'm sure all of us have rushed one decision or another when coral are concerned.

OP
OP
quinndeline

quinndeline

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like I mentioned before you have months to consider and save. Coral shouldn't be added too soon to a tank. The type of coral you keep will be in direct relation to the lighting needs.

Take this time to check out all of the different coral or anemone and their needs. Black box, red sea, ai prime are the usual go to lights on a budget. You can check out bulkreefsupply.com or Amazon for pricing. From there see testimonials on this site for how they work for which coral.

Nothing happens quickly in this hobby and I'm sure all of us have rushed one decision or another when coral are concerned.
Thank you so much this info really helps

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 13.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 6.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 83 56.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.8%
Back