Best Salt ESV vs Aquavitros Salinity????

Which Salt is Best

• I like Salinity

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I like ESV

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • Both are gud

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both Suck

Votes: 3 21.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

lsingh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thinking about switching salts and heard good things about both of these salt...any experience with these salt if so please explain pros and cons???

Last edited:

Surfage_Breakage

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have any experience with esv so I don't have an opinion on that salt. But I do use aquavitro salinity and am very happy with it and would suggest using it.

Bry

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Following along.. Been contemplating the switch to ESV and curious to see what others say

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the Aquavitro salt so i cannot compare but i have used a lot of other salts, boutique salts and run of the mill popular salts. I love the ESV salt system. I know it is a bit pricier but the salt mixes up so great. I get no byproducts precipitating out of the salt mixture to build up in my mixing can. It mixes crystal clear each time. I figured out exactly what I needed for each component for a 30g mix and I just do that each week, easy peasy!!! I wait for sales and buy in bulk. I've found Premium Aquatics to be a bit cheaper and wait for a coupon code if I can. Recently they had a 10% off code and I bought two 200g ESV salt systems and saved a good amount. This is the bests salt I have used over the years....and I have used a lot of salts looking for what works for me. At this point I'll never change again :).

skinz78

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at the Aqua Craft salts? I'm gonna switch to them as soon as my current bucket is used up, I'm hearing a lot of good about the salt they offer.

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ive used marine environment before and it wasnt anthing special IMO.

I'm currently using salinity, and up to this bucket I had been pleased. For some reason this bucket is giving me a reading of ~5.5.5 in ALK mixed at 35ppt. Not too happy about having to add a ton ALK to get the level up to match my tank.

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tried both . The Salinity has to be mixed slower for some reason . When mixing ,if u add the salt too quicky it will leave a residue and it takes a couple hours for the water to clear .
The ESV takes about the same amount of work but clears up quicker and can be readily used on the fly .
It's a toss up imho due to several reasons .
Couldn't tell any difference with the corals with the exception that ESV does not make corals slime at all during a water change.
The Salinity made a few SPS slime a lil . I have read reports if inconsistent batches but when I used it the LFS had barrels . YMMV
The ESV salt is heavier to ship and not everyone carries it .
Salinity has go to the LFS advantage but when mixing it you have to add the salt a little at a time . (total pain ) . unless they changed something .
Here is a thread about who has given up on Salinity and why .

Who has given up Aquavitro Salinity? WHY? - Atlanta Reef Club Forums

Davesgt

Happy Happy Happy
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aquavitro is amazing! now that is use it theres no way id switch again.

lawnman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Been using Aquavitro for over a year now I love that salt. On my 4th bucket now only thing I am not pleased about is having to pick it up and carry it to my truck from the LFS lol that bucket is HEAVY.

stunreefer

Reef Hugger
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now swear by ESV. By far the best salt I've ever used regarding consistency and cleanliness. As Alicia mentioned it leaves no residual residue in mixing containers and mixes clear within minutes. I've performed numerous (near) 100% water changes on several different systems full of coral and they barely even slimed up and polyps immediately opened. One of the systems had several older large tangs that took the water changes in stride as if nothing had happened. Truly amazing stuff and worth every penny IMO.

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I now swear by ESV. By far the best salt I've ever used regarding consistency and cleanliness. As Alicia mentioned it leaves no residual residue in mixing containers and mixes clear within minutes. I've performed numerous (near) 100% water changes on several different systems full of coral and they barely even slimed up and polyps immediately opened. One of the systems had several older large tangs that took the water changes in stride as if nothing had happened. Truly amazing stuff and worth every penny IMO.

++1

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody with experience with the ESV product explain how it works? From reading, it seems there are two salts in separate bags that you mix together, then you add an ALK and Ca 2 part to the mix to get your desired parameters? Am I far off base here? Seems worth it to spend an extra $20 for this salt if it is that much better.

buddythelion

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can somebody with experience with the ESV product explain how it works? From reading, it seems there are two salts in separate bags that you mix together, then you add an ALK and Ca 2 part to the mix to get your desired parameters? Am I far off base here? Seems worth it to spend an extra $20 for this salt if it is that much better.
+1. I'm thinking of switching after my last few batches.

Last edited:

NanaReefer

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using Reef Crystals for 3yrs. My corals have never *slimed*, mixings a breeze, consistent readings, clean mix always. Then again I use a Koralia 750 in a 5g bucket.
As far as corals are concerned. I keep everything but sps. Even a very happy TC clam. I get great growth and color!

If it isn't broke don't fix it. :) if bored find something else to do-lol.

Last edited:

EddieJ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is a 4 part system, first you mix the salt with RODI water, dissolves rather quickly.. Then you mix in the MG Flakes, when that is clear you add the Liquid Part A and wait for a couple of minutes. Finally you add the liquid part B. The saltwater is ready to use within 10 minutes if you like! Mixes absolutely clear with no residue. Cool thing is you can adjust your ALK, MG and CA to match what you levels you like. One caveat is that you should do this adjustment evenly across the 3 components to ensure it's still balanced. Example is don't do 20 percent less ALK and leave the other 2 the same. At least this is what I was told by ESV. Others may have had success doing it other ways. I run a Zeovit tank so I like to lower the level to where the ALK is around 8, that in turn puts my MG and CA right on target as well. Sounds like allot of work but really it isn't...

slojmn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, Eddie pretty much nailed it. The only thing I would add that I do a little different is that I add part 1, the salt component then wait 30 minutes add part 2 the Mag Flakes component and wait another 30 minutes then I add the liquid components 10 minutes apart. Everything mixes up very quickly to beautiful crystal clear water with no residue at each step in the process but I like to just be sure. I have found that I have extra liquid and Mag flakes when I run out of the salt component. The company sends measuring equipment and a chart for how much of each component for different gallons of water amounts (does that make sense?) in every box. I wish they would have an option to buy boxes without the measuring equipment...I have tons of the measuring cups and such, hehehehehe. I donate them to the local Salvation Army. I have thought about asking ESV to put together boxes that have no measuring cups for those of us that go through the boxes regularly. I'll have to get on that :) I have gone as high as a 65% water change with this stuff and not a single coral or fish shows any signs of problems. Typically I change out 30% in my nano-tank each week and 20% in my main display tank each week. I am so happy to have found a salt brand that is consistent and that I feel totally confident in box to box!!!

myzislow

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Awesome!!! You guys have me sold, thanks for the info!

montethemoster

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not tried Salinity, but would agree I love ESV so far. I had been using a commonly recommended salt brand. I had not really paid attention to their packaging but took a closer look after purchasing my last bucket and saw that it said, "Extra Vitamins to ensure vigorous growth and survival of corals, anemones and other invertebrates in a captive environment; - Metal Detoxifier - to neutralize traces of heavy metal often present in domestic water supplies."

Just my opinion but I did not want organics (vitamins) added into my salt, nor an unknown chemical that the company believes might neutralize heavy metals. All I wanted in my salt mix was a "clean" mixing salt without any phosphates or nitrates, that mixes to Ca, Mg, and alkalinity levels relatively close to those I keep in my tank. I did a lot of research and actually narrowed down my two options to ESV and Salinity, but decided to try ESV.

I have used about a full 200 gallon box of the ESV salt mix in the last month and have not made any other changes to my system because I really wanted to see if this salt would make a difference. It may be anecdotal but I have seen hair algae die-off, and better coral and coralline algae growth. Slowly over the month I have gone from dosing about 15 mL of my alkalinity supplement per day to about 45 mL of my alkalinity supplement per day to keep up with demand. I feel this is an indication that the growth in my system has improved with the salt.

I would not say that this salt can be mixed up and ready to use in 10 minutes. I measure the NaCl and Magnesium salt components with a scale which others might find to be too much of a pain. As someone else also said I tend to add each component and allow them to mix for about half an hour before adding the next component. That being said everything does mix up very cleanly with none of the brownish precipitate I saw with my previous salt. However, it is also about twice as expensive as my previous salt.

Overall, when I weigh the pros and cons so far I think the added cost has easily been worth it and I will continue to use the salt for the improvements I believe I have seen in my own system. I know others may have a different experience, but this has been mine so far with the ESV salt.

Last edited:

arotbart

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great Salt

+1+1+1 on the ESV.

I had been using TM pro for a while, and switched to ESV about 1 year ago, and then my SPS tank just took off. I mix per the instructions and do 25 G water change every two weeks on my display (180G) and about a 10G change every two weeks on my frag (30G). Have never had any issues.

One of the MAIN reasons I switched, was that I read an article somewhere that ESV Salt is one of the only salts that do not add "extras" to the product. As we all know, in this industry, marketing is big deal. Like the TM pro salt, the big hook is there supposed additions of secret stuff to replicate/assist pro biotics in the tank.

Well, the article i read (wish I still had link), basically stated that ESV only has what you need (i.e., salt, mag, Ca, ALK basically). So, I thought keep is simple stupid. So far, its worked great. Love the stuff.

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 18.2%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 27 16.4%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 31 18.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 69 41.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.8%
Back