Best salt for mixing stations?

gideon2086

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a feel for what folks with mixing stations are using for salt. I recently setup an AWC system with a DOS for my 220g setup. I change 3g a day and keep about 45g or so mixed at any given time. I've used Red Sea Coral Pro for years.. but I'm finding that it doesn't keep well. The ALK deteriorates quickly and the water forms a residue/stinks. I'm struggling to keep my alk up in my tank. I've read that others have run into this issue as well.

What is everyone out there using?

The Lumpster

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro. Check out the BRS videos on salt mixing and storage. It is a great video that addresses your problem. I haven't cleaned my salt storage container (Brute 45 gal can) in over a year and it looks like the day I bought it. I have a small powerhead in there to keep the water moving. I store it in my basement at room temperature. It usually takes me a month or more to use up the 45 gallons I mix at a time. There are probably other salts that mix and store well but I have yet to find one better than TM Pro.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tropic Marin Pro. Check out the BRS videos on salt mixing and storage. It is a great video that addresses your problem. I haven't cleaned my salt storage container (Brute 45 gal can) in over a year and it looks like the day I bought it. I have a small powerhead in there to keep the water moving. I store it in my basement at room temperature. It usually takes me a month or more to use up the 45 gallons I mix at a time. There are probably other salts that mix and store well but I have yet to find one better than TM Pro.
^^^ that

Justdrew

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Instant Ocean is the only other one I have stored long term. Using TM Pro myself right now.

ctopherl

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Trying to get a feel for what folks with mixing stations are using for salt. I recently setup an AWC system with a DOS for my 220g setup. I change 3g a day and keep about 45g or so mixed at any given time. I've used Red Sea Coral Pro for years.. but I'm finding that it doesn't keep well. The ALK deteriorates quickly and the water forms a residue/stinks. I'm struggling to keep my alk up in my tank. I've read that others have run into this issue as well.

As someone else said BRS did a really thorough video comparing how well each salt brand keeps for how long (probably an investigates video?).

Also, “best for mixing” will mean something different to everyone. It sounds like you are looking for stable parameters. If I recall correctly from the BRS video, higher parameter salts (like Red Sea coral pro) lost their alk and Ca levels quickly like you noticed.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Reef Crystals in my AWC that I have to refill every 2 weeks. It leaves a brown residue and I realize it is far from the best salt, but for the cost I am more than happy with it.

RobB'z Reef

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
TM Pro it is.. now what to do with the 400 or so gallons worth of Coral Pro I have on hand...
mix it in... I do that all the time with no harm/no foul. I've done up to approximately 25% at a time when I have a different salt mix I need to use up that's left over from my QT process as I'm not going to use the expensive TMP for that.

dbdisok

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1624212740343.png

(LiveAquaria.com) I have been using this brand for a few years without issue. Free shipping. I read people complain about it being all in one large bag rather than several smaller bags. I have a storage container I transfer the salt mix into. It mixes clean with little residue in my mixing container.

BiggestE222

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Reef crystals

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 17 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 7 5.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 69 57.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 6.6%
Back