Best Sand for High Flow SPS Tank

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided that I'm going to set up my 40B as an SPS tank. What's the best sand for high flow so I don't have sand dunes? I don't want to go BB with the stand that I have, but my sandbed won't be very deep, either.

PatW

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that fine sand blows around where currents are high. It does not go into the water column. It collects in sand drifts rather like snow drifts.

My solution is just using some coarser grain sand for the high current spots.

Pistondog

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carib sea aragonite is fairly coarse.
Is it possible to aim the powerheads horizontally, so they aren't blowing directly on the bottom?

fishface NJ

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

BradB

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bigger hassle than it is worth, but no matter how course or fine, it will blow around and eventually settle down. You will need to keep leveling it unless you want bare spots and sand dunes.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Carib sea aragonite is fairly coarse.
Is it possible to aim the powerheads horizontally, so they aren't blowing directly on the bottom?
I plan to have them blowing horizontally toward each other, with one pointed slightly toward the surface. In my current tank (mixed reef), I can't have my wavemakers over 40% without creating sand dunes.

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I decided that I'm going to set up my 40B as an SPS tank. What's the best sand for high flow so I don't have sand dunes? I don't want to go BB with the stand that I have, but my sandbed won't be very deep, either.

I would go with a crushed coral substrate if you can find it. It is heavier than sand, but with a 40B you will likely still have some issues with dunes forming. Back in the day I could find crushed coral in the 1/8 inch size range. I haven't seen that anywhere for quite some time.

My guess is you are going to just have to google it to death until you can find something in the size you need. I expect it will be quite a challenge, a 40B is fairly shallow isn't it?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.. so what is the definition of "high flow"? Does it mean a constant underwater hurricane? Or does it simply mean to keep a constant movement of water across the area? Would several smaller powerheads or wavemakers do the job instead of one or two larger ones?

SamsReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0

This one…clean and dream like. It’s costly but really worth it. I have one size smaller and it works good.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK.. so what is the definition of "high flow"? Does it mean a constant underwater hurricane? Or does it simply mean to keep a constant movement of water across the area? Would several smaller powerheads or wavemakers do the job instead of one or two larger ones?
tropical storm danny Typhoon GIF

But really, I'll just have to fuss with it and experiment a bit while the tank cycles. Unless I decide to go BB after all.

OP
OP
kittenbritches

kittenbritches

The Cat's Pajamas
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
StarBoard
For $150 +shipping, probably not. And I don't have a table saw to cut it to size and would have to ask the ex for help (which isn't the end of the world, but isn't at the top of the list of things I want to do -- lol).

More than just hot air: Is there a Pufferfish in your aquarium?

• There is currently a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There is not currently a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I have kept one in the past.

Votes: 30 17.0%
  • There has never been a pufferfish in my aquarium, but I plan to keep one in the future.

Votes: 32 18.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a pufferfish in my aquarium.

Votes: 76 43.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back