Best Sand for High Flow SPS Tank

For $150 +shipping, probably not. And I don't have a table saw to cut it to size and would have to ask the ex for help (which isn't the end of the world, but isn't at the top of the list of things I want to do -- lol).
If your using matured rock, barebottom is a lot less ugly than a dry rock bare bottom. I’ve done both. If your doing barebottom dry rock and don’t like ugly, for months, go with some of the sand options.
 
Prob already moved on, but I use special grade with 4 mp40s near 100%. Only get a little sand swirling on a 6’ tank.
 
Why do you think you have to have “high”flow? My corals are happy as can be with mild/medium flow. Enough is all you need. This is a 50g with 2 mp 40s set to reef crest at 25% anti sync. My sand never moves unless a fish stirs it up
https://m.youtube.com/shorts/5_Eg10dfVq0
 
I get a special mixed grade type of sand. Once it gets covered in bacteria in a month or two, I have too much flow if it is blowing around still. Fresh sand blows around. Too fine of sand blows around. I have never found that you need so much flow that mature, mixed grain sand blows around.

I would rather than 3 inches of sand than more flow. Never seen any evidence that more flow is necessary but the anoxic bacteria, phosphate buffering, carbonate buffering and sand critters to eat ich tomonts are just too real for me.
 
Last edited:
I have the Tropic Eden Grand Select. It's really nice looking, but it still blows around. I'm in the process of sucking it out with WCs. Sand just doesn't stay put in my shallow 16" deep tank. In taller tanks the biofilm coating helps, in shallow tanks not so much.
 
Anything over about 2.5mm will work fine in my experience.
 
Reborn® coarse aragonite media looks really nice as a substrate.
 
I have thought about using that, it would make a nice rubble zone. My fear was detritus collection.
Tearing down my tank after 4 years, there was a lot of detritus but it never impacted my tank while running it. I did also include jawfish, fighting conchs and Nassarius snails which kept things moving. If you want a ton of rubble and sand movement, get a mated pair of orange diamond gobies.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 10 35.7%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 14 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 28.6%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new