Best Sand To Handle The FLOW

Mark75

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Large enough size to prevent movement in high flow tanks causes detritus build up and is of little use to the critters we keep a sand bed for in the first place. Personally I find the large "chunky" substrate to look a bit odd, I like the look of sugar sized sand. I have a 50g. cube (24x24x24) with 2 RW-8's on full blast W1 setting and a Mag 5 for return. After much adjusting on the direction of flow I have the dunes down to a minimum.

spllbnd2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently using a combination of 2 to 1 for Reef Flakes and Mini Flakes while using MP Vortech pumps. The smallest tank which is a standard AGA/Aqeon 15 has a MP10 which I have turned just past the half way point and I have no problems keeping the sand bed from moving. That is until I move the sand bed during cleaning or our pistol shrimp decides she wants to rearrange things. :)

Over the years I have tried a lot of different brands and grands of sand from crushed coral, large rubble mix and even the oolite sand. All the CarbiSea substrates always got filthy after a few months and was difficult to keep clean when compared to Tropic Eden.

Cheers,
Alex

italquam

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking about sand for my new build and I am thinking I need a bigger sized grain sand so I can keep some good flow running across the top of it to help keep it clean.

I love Tropic Marin Reef Flakes but I am think about the Tropic Marin Reef Flake Grand Select size.

Here are the grain sizes:

Aragasnow - 0.5mm
Tonga Special Pink - 0.8mm
Miniflakes - 2.0mm
Mesoflakes - 2.7mm
Reefflakes - 3.0mm
Reefflakes Grand Select - 4.5mm

What are you using and what do you suggest?

te-sandgroup.jpg
What sand did you go with??

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 26 14.9%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 85 48.6%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 54 30.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 2.9%
Back