Best Starfish For FOWLR?

Wandering Albatross

Well-Known Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 1, 2024
Messages
884
Reaction score
428
Location
Whidbey Island, WA
What state or country do you live in
Washington
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can anyone vouch for a starfish that’ll be fish-safe with sand sleeping wrasse and eels, that won’t attack fish in their caves at night, and is generally pretty hardy? Something that isn’t a brittle/serpent star? I don’t care if it needs spot feeding that’s no problem for me, and it would be one of the only inverts in this tank. The bigger the better so long as it won’t hurt any of the fish.

It may share space with urchins or large turbos from time to time, and many find a leftover feeder clam or oyster on occasion.

Does anyone know if any starfish hunts or will opportunistically hunt larger inverts like lobsters or horseshoe crabs?
 
What role does starfish play in your display? What is your clean up crew?

I can’t imagine any starfish hunting lobster or horseshoe crabs.

Aside from green serpent star, what is the problem with serpent & brittle starfish in your FOWLR.
 
What role does starfish play in your display? What is your clean up crew?

I can’t imagine any starfish hunting lobster or horseshoe crabs.

Aside from green serpent star, what is the problem with serpent & brittle starfish in your FOWLR.
Purpose is a cryptic member of the display, if it serves a cuc purpose that's a bonus. At this point any normal-sized cuc and inverts (crabs, hermits, shrimp, snails) are expected to become snacks eventually, and as such they aren't being taken into account as long term tank cuc. I'm trying to see if any larger show inverts might survive, either by size or by no one wanting to bother eating them.

If the larger lobsters were more fish-safe, I'd be willing to try those, urchins, a horseshoe crab, a larger star, and/or maybe large conch. I'm too put off at the idea of a cucumber based on them nuking tanks (this would be a high flow tank), feather dusters would likely last less than a day, clams and shellfish that aren't feeders would be a waste of money, and I feel like nudibranch would get eaten as well. A nontoxic sponge might do okay if well and extensively established before my angels were added. If not, it'd be a nice snack. Do the blue photosynthetic plating sponges release toxins on death/harassment?

I just don't like the stringy look of them, I was looking for something more stocky in appearance.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 5 3.8%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 25 19.2%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 41 31.5%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 0.8%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 10 7.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 19 14.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 9 6.9%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new