Best store for corals in michigan

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am wondering what is the best LFS for corals in mi? I am willing to make a drive. I just would hate to drive 2+ hours somewhere and be disappointed in the amount of corals and live stock. Where is the place that will blow me away?[emoji111] thank you

vegamedic

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
like @blueface said, trop is about the only good coral spot, at least on the east side of the state. most/all of the other shops that carry saltwater have some coral, but they're usually stupid expensive, poorly taken care of, common pieces. i've seen bleached 2" green birdsnest frags with a $60 price tag, for instance.

i've also heard fish doctors in ypsi (and...plymouth i think?) are good but have never been

OP
OP
westmichigan

westmichigan

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The Tropicorium is a must if you haven’t been there.
Thank you I'll check them out. Is pruess not a good store? In the pics it looks nice. There is one in Grand rapids but it looks small to me. And traverse City but I know nothing about any of these stores. I would rather drive 4 hours to tropicorium than waste a 2 hour trip to somewhere else.

TCReef84

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My fiancé and I just found out and visited Tropicorium for the first time last weekend. Super impressed. The fact that they still employ undergravel filters and relatively low tech reefing makes me rethink my whole approach. Highly recommend them.
Funky Fish & Friends in Gaylord was probably my second favorite. Decent prices and I believe he gets his stock from a wholesaler in Lansing called A&M Aquatics.
The most incredible local place for coral we’ve ever been to was a place in South Boardman called Country Aquatics which was right next to Traverse City, where we live. Sadly, he had to shut down for unknown reasons.
Chris, if you’re out there, please come back.

Marcom12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pruess is a great store. im very new to the saltwater game as far as knowing good prices, or if the corals look good. BUT.... i have been going there for years for freshwater stuff and they are always super helpful and always willing to stop and answer any questions you have. the owner is always there and actually is out working the floor with his employees. i drive 45 minutes to get my freshwater fish there and bought my live rock there to start my tank.

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Another shout out to Pet Connection in Livonia. Ken and Jim have never let me down. They really take care of livestock and the customer. 20+ years of great help from them!

Gmj4409

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe Cherry Corals is a full time retail service. It’s a good idea to call to make sure they can accommodate a visit. They are supposed to have some amazing coral (never been there myself).

truepercs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe Cherry Corals is a full time retail service. It’s a good idea to call to make sure they can accommodate a visit. They are supposed to have some amazing coral (never been there myself).

Yes, Make sure they are there to avoid a wasted trip...

BluTang85

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Go see cherry corals in Livonia they have a huge selection, tropicorium is a great spot but they don’t have a lot of coral, there mostly fish. Preuss pets in Lansing have a nice selection for coral aswell.

Nicholas Conner

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A relatively new option is Triquatics in Waterford. They seem like super nice guys, and they are the only Red Sea dealer in Michigan. They are focusing on corals and gear to start, with fish coming later. You might want to check them out!

JEREMY HELMINIAK

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you I'll check them out. Is pruess not a good store? In the pics it looks nice. There is one in Grand rapids but it looks small to me. And traverse City but I know nothing about any of these stores. I would rather drive 4 hours to tropicorium than waste a 2 hour trip to somewhere else.
I will say I have been going to VI pets in Grand Rapids for a while now and they are very fair on pricing also very knowledgeable and helpful with anything you may need, the one in Plainfield is a little bigger than the other on, but I would for sure recommend them if they are closer to you. Also the fish doctor in ypsilanti is a very neat place lots to choose from, very small but they pack alot in that place.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.7%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 42 36.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 35 30.4%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 27 23.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.9%
Back