Best Style Frag Rack in Frag Tank?

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics below show the frag rack I built for my 40b tank which is plumbed into the rest of my system.
It seems to work ok but I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about it?
Mine is tiered which I thought would be good for coral that need various amounts of light, but I suppose moving side to side on a flat rack would do the same thing.
And I don't think I've gained any space by having it tiered.
One thing I don't like is when frags get knocked down to the shelf below, or beneath the whole rack.
So what have you done? What do you prefer and why?
What do you think makes the most efficient use of space?
Please share your experience and pics!

i-FP5rCm2.jpg
i-BRJGk4D.jpg

i-3BXkTVz.jpg

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
cricket.gif

ok looks like i need to take matters into my own hand! :p
I cut a single large piece of black egg crate to cover the bottom. Figured I might as well give it a try.
Now I need to work on supporting it from underneath to raise it up about 4".

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about multiple frag racks is cleaning. One big sheet is hard to get the detritus out. I have 2 stages plus the floor level for frags and grow out tiles. If i get a little undesired algae on some egg crate I pull it and put it into the dt and the tangs go to work.

Yea with 1 layer you can get different light intensities by moving frags to the side. I do this with favias and newly fragged pieces. If you know how to work it multi levels are awesome. Your rack looks awesome.

Chris-tico

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One question,. ive always wanted yo know why all the frag rack arent at the bottom. they always have some space.

this have any reason?

Stephanie11

Fragaholic
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You want good flow under the rack too. This helps with settling. Let it all go to your overflow or hob filters

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The good thing about multiple frag racks is cleaning. One big sheet is hard to get the detritus out. I have 2 stages plus the floor level for frags and grow out tiles. If i get a little undesired algae on some egg crate I pull it and put it into the dt and the tangs go to work.

Yea with 1 layer you can get different light intensities by moving frags to the side. I do this with favias and newly fragged pieces. If you know how to work it multi levels are awesome. Your rack looks awesome.
Thanks for confirming what I decided to do yesterday, which is split the rack in two. I figured it would make it easier to clean, but I also can shove my large chalices underneath. They color up better in low light.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went flat rack with mine. I keep mostly sps anyway so I didn't need it tiered. I do have some shrooms and LPS and I just keep those on the bottom/sides.
Nice. I like your notches in the pvc to hold the rack.
I'm doing something similar but I decide to go with the 1/2" pvc fittings. Got the supplies yesterday. Should be able to throw it together this weekend.

The other thing I was thinking might be cool, is a Gyre pump underneath to help keep things from settling.

FoD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My setup isn't wet yet, so I cannot say if this design is good or bad, but below is my prop racks in my prop tank. They are tiered as well, but in pyramid style. Bottom row wraps the tank, middle row inside of that, and top row inside of the middle...

IMAG0218.jpg

IMAG0219_1.jpg

My plan was to use 2 of my MP10's on this tank, but the acrylic tank company decided that 1/2" acrylic was necessary for a 36" x 20" x 12" tank. MP10's don't want to stay, so I'm thinking of going with the XF130 Gyre to provide flow, and like you, thinking it will help with debris under the racks, keeping it suspended in the water column.

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thing I was thinking might be cool, is a Gyre pump underneath to help keep things from settling

That would be ideal for a setup like mine and yours. If I didn't have some expensive shrooms down there I would like to do the same thing. I do collect some detritus on the bottom. It's not too much trouble to remove the rack and vacuum during water changes but some high flow underneath would sure be a lot nicer.

kireek

PLANESWALKER
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Great topic @d2mini ! I think you can save space with a tiered rack.Especially with a mixed reef system.Here are some reasons why I like using multi level racks;
* You can place aggressive corals down lower or higher to prevent sweeper damage.
* If you need more light penetration under a rack you can simply raise it up,during construction or with magnets.
* Plating corals can be placed towards the edges or underneath other frags.
* It makes the corals easier to view from the side.

Eckolancer

LED GURU
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stair step design. I seen a guy once put egg create from bottom front to back top this way he could have maximum frags all lined up next to each other.

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like the stair step design. I seen a guy once put egg create from bottom front to back top this way he could have maximum frags all lined up next to each other.
Like I have now?

What I'm thinking is starting with the full base, and then maybe have one or two moveable "tiers" that I can use and move around as necessary. Maybe even a couple that magnet to the glass.
The stair stepped setup I have right now doesn't really give me any more space than a single flat rack.

Triggreef

Zoa Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
rack.jpg

If I understand you correctly this is how I was thinking of doing mine on my new set up. It would gain a little space as the crate would be longer front to back at an angle than it would be front to back laying flat. Like this _ compared to /

My concerns are A: the frags falling out or pulled out easily by crabs, snails, fish. B: Cleaning under it.

I think I could get around the cleaning under it by using some framing and making a square access hole in the middle to temporarily remove the middle section of rack. I probably would just not angle it a whole lot to avoid frags being jostled around. Obviously the greater the angle the more space gained, but the easier to uproot frags as well.

like this...

Last edited:

LILBUDDHA

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too savvy to make my own . I like the design of the mad rack . The mad rack holds different frag plugs . It's the first rack I have tried that holds the OA frag plug which is square . It is 11 x 11 and should fit perfectly in the Fusion Nano 10 .
It's sloped with the front lower than the rear . It is open on all sides . Not sure if the plugs will slide . I haven't put it in my QT tank yet . The rack is sitting in my closet collecting dust . I am using a pure flow atm .
I do like the creativity of the above racks though ..

Cleo642

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pics below show the frag rack I built for my 40b tank which is plumbed into the rest of my system.
It seems to work ok but I'm wondering if there is a better way to go about it?
Mine is tiered which I thought would be good for coral that need various amounts of light, but I suppose moving side to side on a flat rack would do the same thing.
And I don't think I've gained any space by having it tiered.
One thing I don't like is when frags get knocked down to the shelf below, or beneath the whole rack.
So what have you done? What do you prefer and why?
What do you think makes the most efficient use of space?
Please share your experience and pics!

i-FP5rCm2.jpg
i-BRJGk4D.jpg

i-3BXkTVz.jpg
Nice rug. Lol

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not too savvy to make my own . I like the design of the mad rack . The mad rack holds different frag plugs . It's the first rack I have tried that holds the OA frag plug which is square . It is 11 x 11 and should fit perfectly in the Fusion Nano 10 .
It's sloped with the front lower than the rear . It is open on all sides . Not sure if the plugs will slide . I haven't put it in my QT tank yet . The rack is sitting in my closet collecting dust . I am using a pure flow atm .
I do like the creativity of the above racks though ..

Cool, I was thinking of doing a slight slope. Slight. I like using the larger flat discs a lot so they are not always secured to the rack.

Nice rug. Lol
FLOR carpet tiles. ;)
We use them a lot.

9balliw

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a shop in St. Louis that has a big tank that has egg crate on slope and holds a bunch of frags and is super easy to see and pick from

OP
OP
d2mini

d2mini

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a shop in St. Louis that has a big tank that has egg crate on slope and holds a bunch of frags and is super easy to see and pick from
Yep, one of our LFS has a zoa rack like that. That's where I got the idea.
But my frag discs would slide off at that slope. :p
But raising it just a hair might work. I'm thinking just 10 degrees or less. I'm going to be using pvc legs so easy to try different heights. :)

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 141 43.0%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 50 15.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.5%
Back