Best test kits available....Red Sea Pro????.....your feedback please

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I want to put together a really good test kit for my Mixed reef (SPS, LPS and softies). I have been told to get the New RED Sea Pro. I hav ealso been told to Mix in some of the Hanna testers. I want to put together something that is fairly easy and quick w/o sacrificing on accuracy and thats probably the million $$$ ?????? Your opinions please.

Ostentum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have not used the Red Sea, but the Salifert are pretty accurate. Stay far away from the Tropic Marin Alk. I got 2 dkh lower on that kit compared to the salifert on 3 different samples.

swannyson7

Moderator/Acro Aficianado
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on salifert as a whole. Red Sea Pro tests are inexpensive and easy to read which is a plus, but IME, they aren't as accurate as competitors. Pretty much every parameter has a different brand that I prefer and I'm sure many people will agree. For example, I like Salifert & Elos for Calcium, Salifert for Magnesium, Lamotte or Hanna meter for alk, Hanna meter for phosphate, etc. I don't find much a difference between brands when testing NO2, NO3, NH3, but I'm sure others will chime in with their favorites.

fab1971

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use elos. Pain in the neck but they're pretty accurate. once you use them enough, they're a breeze to use.

mylifeismyown66

FUPA
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an Elos Mg kit yesterday and love it already (although the test tube already broke just from trying to use the plug on it). The Red Sea Mg kit was a pain and hard to use. I too am currently looking into a better kit for Nitrates and Ca that I have API kits for right now.

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agree with everyone above. Would not use Red Sea. I use Salifert as my primary test kits. If something seems off, I also use Elos as a backup (to make sure my readings are correct).

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I like Salifert but have not tried Elos.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the Help!!!! Is Salifert complicated to use and which kits do I really need to start off with. Probably PH, Calcium, ALK???? Keep in mind I have a mixed reef of LPS, Softies and recently added SPS Corals............I have the little API test strips now that ONLY measure Nitrates, nitrites, PH and water hardness.

lps1212

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert and elos imo quick easy and very accurate

soccerbag

Chalices did this to me!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for all the Help!!!! Is Salifert complicated to use and which kits do I really need to start off with. Probably PH, Calcium, ALK???? Keep in mind I have a mixed reef of LPS, Softies and recently added SPS Corals............I have the little API test strips now that ONLY measure Nitrates, nitrites, PH and water hardness.

If you are going to be keeping SPS, I would recommend picking up a Nitrate and Phosphate test kit. And I would highly recommend a Mag kit - they are much more expensive but worth it IMO. They aren't the most accurate but it's a good gauge of your Mag if you're trying to troubleshoot with parameters.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea pro for Magnesium is as good or better than Salifert. I have both, and the results are always the same but the Red Sea pro test kit is easier to work with. I have Hanna checkers for phosphate and alkalinity, and I'm planning getting the Calcium test when the put it out in July.

Check this out. He is comparing this to most "others", mainly referring to Salifert
YouTube - ‪Red sea pro aquarium test kit demo‬‏

Tequilero

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Salifert for nitrate, magnesium And alk. There is a thread on RC tht says the alk test is about 10% high. But it's sooo easy to use.

For phosphate Hanna colorimeter the green checker guy. Best for the money, get extra reagents.

I have over 35 tests from all the brands except that new company colorful packaging forget the name.

Elos test is best for calcium.

Other than that Elos sucks big time. I gave my mag test for free after the first use. Salifert is way superior.

OP
OP
ReefRDude

ReefRDude

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Let me ask you guys this. .......looks like Salifert, Hanna Checkers, Elos (for calcium) seems to be the consensus. Out of the following NO2, NO3, NO4, PO4, Mg, Ca, Alk, and PH...........Which kits are more essential and are the ones that I should purchase first. I'm thinking I'll buy half now and purchase the rest next month.

Also is marine Depot the best place to purchase. Those New SPS's have got me a little nervous. I don't want to lose any of them.

Dowtish

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you do water changes with a decent salt on a regular schedule, that should keep your mag, cal, and alk at decent levels. I would be wanting to kow my alkalinity, phosphates, and nitrates first.

fishypets

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The new Red Sea test kits are the best I've used, hands down. Old Red Sea not so much.

How much do you care about having a display FREE of wires, pumps and equipment?

• Want it squeaky clean! Wires be danged!

Votes: 136 41.2%
  • A few things are ok with me!

Votes: 164 49.7%
  • No care at all! Bring it on!

Votes: 30 9.1%
Back