Best test kits

blaxsun

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What’s the most accurate?
Honestly, they can be more or leas accurate based on the age of the reagents, how well (or not) you clean the vials, how accurately (or not) you follow the testing procedures, etc.

I have Hanna to get precise measurements every few weeks or so, but I like certain test kits for ease of use, ie: Red Sea Marine for pH, ammonia and alkalinity, Nyos for nitrate and phosphate, Aquaforest for magnesium, etc.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, they can be more or leas accurate based on the age of the reagents, how well (or not) you clean the vials, how accurately (or not) you follow the testing procedure.

This x1000.

With that said, some of us are color blind, and can't see the subtle differences in color, or a color shift when a titration kit is finished.

For this reason alone, I personally prefer the hanna kits(minus the calcium kit as that just has to many instances where errors can be introduced) as they give me a hard number without judging color changes, or comparing colors that never match what they should.

billyocean

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hanna for alk, phos, nitrate. Red sea for calcium..not obliged to red sea for calcium, just have it. Aquaforest for mag hands down.

Gkrockman

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there one simple calcium test kit that provides consistent test results. I've had so many different readings with Salifert, Read Sea, and Hanna calcium test kits, not to mention the vague instructions.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there one simple calcium test kit that provides consistent test results. I've had so many different readings with Salifert, Read Sea, and Hanna calcium test kits, not to mention the vague instructions.
If you stick to one test kit, the repeatability of the result is a matter of consistent application of the test process.

Consistency between different brand hobby grade test kits will only happen by chance as they are not particularly accurate.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never had an issue with salifert. Always repeatable back to back.

If you cannot get reasonable results(within stated error rates), I would question the procedure over the actual test.

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hanna test kits for almost everything with mag on the way. I use aquaforest for mag right now and will continue for spot checks and use salifert for spot checks as well when something doesnt seem right. Good way to double check the hanna's. Calcium is tricky but have written them for how to get more accurate results there is a good youtube video for hanna calcium where he explains it the same way i was explained by hanna. Since the explanation the kit seems to be more accurate.

A Young Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I tried many brands and settled on this:
Kh and ca: salifert.
Mg: I use salifert but aqua forest is also good.
Phosphate and nitrate: nyos and hannah, salifert is decent for these two but difficult to match colors exactly.

scottj6

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know if there is a BEST but my personal preferences are
Nitrate, Alk, Phosphate- Hanna
Mg- Aquaforest or Nyos
Ca- Red Sea or Aquaforest

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use salifert for all but phosphate - then, Hannah Ultra Low. All of these are as reliable as the hobbyist using them.

Most all of them use the same methods, just in different quantities, so work on your skill and make sure that they are not too far out of date.

Melvey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have hanna test kits for almost everything with mag on the way. I use aquaforest for mag right now and will continue for spot checks and use salifert for spot checks as well when something doesnt seem right. Good way to double check the hanna's. Calcium is tricky but have written them for how to get more accurate results there is a good youtube video for hanna calcium where he explains it the same way i was explained by hanna. Since the explanation the kit seems to be more accurate.
Have you been happy with the Hanna Mg tester?

N1tew0lf1212

...Cronies Secretary...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you been happy with the Hanna Mg tester?
There has been good bad and ugly. I have been using my aquaforest test kit for mg more then my mg hanna was waiting for the hype and issues with the reagent to sort itself out before using more frequently.

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 83 76.1%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 10 9.2%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 14 12.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.8%
Back