Best testing practises

Hats_

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious what people think are the best practises for using test kits. So I'm not talking about what brand or something but more about tips and tricks that people can use for general testing.

For example i store my test vials filled with RO-DI water, use a glass pipette to get the exact amount for the test and i replace my 1ml syringes after a couple uses. I keep track of all the tests I do in a spreadsheet organised by date so I can observe trends

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am curious what people think are the best practises for using test kits. So I'm not talking about what brand or something but more about tips and tricks that people can use for general testing.

For example i store my test vials filled with RO-DI water, use a glass pipette to get the exact amount for the test and i replace my 1ml syringes after a couple uses. I keep track of all the tests I do in a spreadsheet organised by date so I can observe trends
Consistency is key.

Just do it the same every time.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a scientific pipette for accurate measurements.
Agree, that becomes more important if you don't just need consistent/repeatable results, but would like measurement accuracy within the limits of the test kit itself.

Calibrated Pipettes, Calibrated Volumetric flasks, Accurate scales with standard weights, etc all have their place if you want to obtain results as accurately as possible.

Whether that is actually important is whole different discussion.

I tend to lean toward consistency rather than absolute accuracy for reef tanks.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 20.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 76 34.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 33.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 21 9.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.8%

Back