best tool for cutting acrylic in tight area ?

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic sump that I built. It fits perfectly .However I made the return section much to large at the expense of the refugium size. What tool could I use to cut out these walls? They do not need to be removed completely . Thanks for any OP's

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an acrylic sump that I built. It perfectly .However I made the return section much to large at the expense of the refugium size. What tool could I use to cut out these walls? They do not needto be removed completely . Thanks for any OP's
Is it full or empty?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's in use for now but could be removed easily then another smaller tank could stand in for the time being. All I nee is room for the drains & return pump.
So the ref now is 10 by 17" . I could add another 6 to 8 inches in length . It really needs to be pulled anyway cause I have very slow occasional leak in one corner & a serious cleaning .
HPIM9253.JPG

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThankYou ! I must confess that'brand is more pricey than I'm willing to spend . I can easily find something more in my price range. Now the question is a proper blade.
Crabs I don't think the cutter You suggested is up to the task. I/m trying to cut through 3/4 inch stock .

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ThankYou ! I must confess that'brand is more pricey than I'm willing to spend . I can easily find something more in my price range. Now the question is a proper blade.
Crabs I don't think the cutter You suggested is up to the task. I/m trying to cut through 3/4 inch stock .
Woof, that's a thick piece lol.

Erica-Renee

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Yes there are cheaper brands of them. I use mine Very Often and its at least 10 years old and still like new.
As far as blade I Would use a Fine tooth blade , Spray water on the cut as you move along will help keep the plastic from melting . Also move the blade in and out of the cut to keep it a bit wider then the blade biggest issue with these type of tools is blade hanging and just shaking the piece your cutting and the tool... Slow is the KEY To them as they really just Vibrate the blade gently back and forth ..

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
'Yes there are cheaper brands of them. I use mine Very Often and its at least 10 years old and still like new.
As far as blade I Would use a Fine tooth blade , Spray water on the cut as you move along will help keep the plastic from melting . Also move the blade in and out of the cut to keep it a bit wider then the blade biggest issue with these type of tools is blade hanging and just shaking the piece your cutting and the tool... Slow is the KEY To them as they really just Vibrate the blade gently back and forth ..

Ok , I have an oscillating cutting tool like this ! It was a gift I never used & forgot about it. When You said "fine tooth " blade, Did You mean fine as a hacksaw blade? Other wise It has a pretty fine tooth blade .

Anyway I will practice with a piece of scrap . I'll need to add some better bracing ,a super cleaning & a reseal in this one corner ! Iv'e been looking at this sump all day trying ti figure a way to improve the performance . No place for a remote fuge . I considered using a Phosban 55o as an algae reactor . I kept coming back to 2 things. One is to get a larger return pump,2nd was to enlarge the fuge & get a better light ! I'm considering changing the title of this post to reflect other ideas I have concerning this sump .
Thanks !

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cutter I have is a Chicago electric . I have a dremel as well .

Fishfinder

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh ya no doubt. I was just throwing out the cheap option I use. If I had that it wouldn't go anywhere near saltwater lol

Caring for your picky eaters: What do you feed your finicky fish?

• Live foods

Votes: 23 30.7%
  • Frozen meaty foods

Votes: 60 80.0%
  • Soft pellets

Votes: 12 16.0%
  • Masstick (or comparable)

Votes: 7 9.3%
  • Other

Votes: 4 5.3%
Back