Best treatment for cyano?

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been battling cyano for some time now. This isn't the first time I've had a problem with it but that was in another tank and I successfully beat it.This time though it's got me stumped. I tried all the common tips (increase flow,vacuum sand bed, large water changes...) My current parameters are No3 <4ppm Po4 0 ALk 8.4 Cal 425 Mag 1350. I have been searching videos and articles and I saw bacteria dosing was a way that has worked for others. My question is which one/brand. I've narrowed it down to Koralla Zucht or Microbacter7. Hoping someone could give me some input.

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reluctant at first but I found great success with Chemiclean. I was siphoning daily to remove the large patches that would regrow everyday. I was doing 50% water changes in hope to combat it via nutrient export. Nothing was helping. I decided it was time to try Chemiclean.

Im no expert but if I could give any advice…

Remove as much as you can before the treatment. I didn’t and at the 24 hour mark my whole tank was a shade of pink. I resisted the urge to do a water change and at the 48 hour mark it was gone.
Follow the instructions exactly so you don’t over dose and make sure you have extra oxygenation added to the tank. I added an air stone near my return pump.
Hope that helps, it work great for me. Now I enjoy looking at the tank.

OP
OP
Neon_Devil

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was reluctant at first but I found great success with Chemiclean. I was siphoning daily to remove the large patches that would regrow everyday. I was doing 50% water changes in hope to combat it via nutrient export. Nothing was helping. I decided it was time to try Chemiclean.

Im no expert but if I could give any advice…

Remove as much as you can before the treatment. I didn’t and at the 24 hour mark my whole tank was a shade of pink. I resisted the urge to do a water change and at the 48 hour mark it was gone.
Follow the instructions exactly so you don’t over dose and make sure you have extra oxygenation added to the tank. I added an air stone near my return pump.
Hope that helps, it work great for me. Now I enjoy looking at the tank.
Yeah i'd like to use that as my last resort but seeing as my numbers are pretty good and it doesn't seem to be receding I might give that a go. Would letting my skimmer overflow into my sump count as aeration or just go get a small pump and stone be ideal?

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

when people say best treatment what they really mean is best no work option, something to dose into the tank.

that above is best treatment/ half the 50 straight pages is cyano fixes using rip cleaning. I claim its the most cyano fixes in succession in one link avail. even the cyano focus threads don't have that fix ratio. hard to exist when both cyano and its food source are blasted out...what most treatments do if lucky is kill cyano, leave the food source actually still inside...no doser is an exporter. they kill mass which sinks back into the crevices

what we did there was actually export and boot camp those reefs. thats why they comply, its not finesse or coaxing and dose and hope

its butt kicking of reefs heh.

here's most common excuses for keeping cyano on purpose when a fix is posted directly above:

my tank is too big

my rock scape is arched and locked

i have a stack of rocks thats too big

and six other reasons. those tanks above got past all those reasons

when excuses do not outweight the desire to be cyano free, we cause that condition above. would sure like more work if you're down for reef tank surgery.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ps if your tank is 220 gallons then that's unfairly large lol you'll have to dose. if its 50 gallons or so, about the size that one simple brute container could hold its water, well then get to rockin

list of dosers that have killed reef tanks before:
-chemi clean, lots of kills and many successes, a mix.

-adjusting N or P, a few fixes mostly causes GHA tradeoff invasions

-vibrant=causes cyano, isn't used to fix it

-mb7 no tank kills I know of, 5% fix rate, cannot be used to collect even two pages in a row of fixes much less seven years worth

-rip cleans have zero documented losses, its just work most people will not undertake for one reason or another.

-UV sterilizers are quite good at fixing the issue but they wont lift it up and out, you've got to manually remove it all first then install UV> UV does not remove organic waste stores it adds to them by killing planktors/intercepting cyano during transitory phases and when they die they sink into sand and rock surfaces.

Last edited:

Just Jared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah i'd like to use that as my last resort but seeing as my numbers are pretty good and it doesn't seem to be receding I might give that a go. Would letting my skimmer overflow into my sump count as aeration or just go get a small pump and stone be ideal?
I’m skimmerless. So taking the collection cup off and letting it overflow will definitely do the trick!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Cyano blooms typically start when water nutrient concentrations go haywire. Just like when you eat too much sugar and your waistline starts to bloom, the same happens in your tank when concentrations of phosphate, nitrate and other organic compounds are too high.
Some of the most common causes include:
- Protein skimmer which fills water with tiny air bubbles. As bubbles form from the reaction chamber, dissolved organic compound molecules stick to them. Foam forms at the surface of the water and is then transferred to a collection cup, where it rests as skimmate. When the protein skimmer does not output the best efficiency or you do not have the suitable protein skimmer to cover the tank, the air bubbles created by the skimmer might be insufficient. And this insufficiency of air bubbles can trigger the cyano to thrive.
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding live rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank beautifully clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

** I recommend to reduce white light intensity or even turn them off for 5-7 days. Add liquid bacteria daily for a week during the day at 1.5ml per 10 gallons. Add Hydrogen peroxide at night at 1ml per 10 gallons. Add a pouch of chemipure Elite which will balance phos and nitrate and keep them in check.

After the week, add a few snails such as cerith, margarita, astrea and nassarius plus 6-8 blue leg hermits to take control.

Streetlamp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I battled it for a long time too. Tried some bottles of potion too all to no avail. What did work was reducing my lights right down to 0 white 5% blue fir 2-3 weeks and then slowly bringing them back up.

Cnidoblast

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A macrolide like Maracyn combined with water changes and reduced light

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Whats your makeup water are you sure its good source water. Have seen many a cyano bloom and a di cartridge needing replacement or ro membrane etc.
Di resin is more apt to promote diatoms But water source high in phosphate will be a trigger

MasterOfNone

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
check to see if your water temperature is high. higher temperatures promote bacteria growth.

OP
OP
Neon_Devil

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some videos on YT I decided to go with chemiclean. Here is the tank before siphoning out the cyno before dosing, and after siphoning. I ran an air stone for extra oxygenation and had to turn off my skimmer since it went absolutely haywire after dosing. It's been almost 24 hours and I only have a small red spot on the sand bed. I plan on waiting the full 48 since WC day is Sunday anyway

Attachments

• 20211231_170713[1].jpg
    20211231_170713[1].jpg
    336.5 KB · Views: 224
  • 20211231_170822[1].jpg
    20211231_170822[1].jpg
    346.2 KB · Views: 200
  • 20211231_171805[1].jpg
    20211231_171805[1].jpg
    351.1 KB · Views: 211
  • 20211231_171502[1].jpg
    20211231_171502[1].jpg
    284.9 KB · Views: 227

Tim McLellan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After watching some videos on YT I decided to go with chemiclean. Here is the tank before siphoning out the cyno before dosing, and after siphoning. I ran an air stone for extra oxygenation and had to turn off my skimmer since it went absolutely haywire after dosing. It's been almost 24 hours and I only have a small red spot on the sand bed. I plan on waiting the full 48 since WC day is Sunday anyway
Yup, the stuff worked as advertised for me too. No regrets in using it, was much relieved to rid the tank of that red slime. I've had a few very small patches crop up since, but they're easy enough to scrape off the rock and haven't become a big problem. It's been about a month.

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard mixed results the longer you go after treatment. For some it seems to come right back, others it never does. I think it has something to do with bacterial competition in the tank. Killing the cyano creates a power vacuum for other bacteria that don't get nuked by the chemiclean and if they exist in the tank they fill the vacuum. More research needed for sure.

OP
OP
Neon_Devil

Neon_Devil

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's been 24 since I did the 48 hour dose, water change and put carbon in one of the media baskets. Everything seems to have cleared up. No3 <4ppm Po4 .01. I will update in either a week or sonner if anything changes

Attachments

• 20220103_171246[1].jpg
    20220103_171246[1].jpg
    207.3 KB · Views: 234

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 72 29.9%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 69 28.6%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 51 21.2%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 47 19.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.8%
Back