best two part to use with kalk

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe this is a chemistry question. 135 gal. mixed reef. I have been using kalk on a doser (ATO separate) for a couple of years. BRS pharma grade to be exact. As my alk consumption has increased, I have dosed more kalk throught the day as needed. (I use a constant drip on a Versa doser). Although I still have leeway with the amount of Kalk I dose relative to my top off, I would like to plan for the time when my demand outstrips what I can dose. I plan to supplement with 2 part. My question: is there a preferred brand or formulation of two part that works better in conjunction with kalk than another? One that might be more chemically or otherwise compatible with kalkwasser? This question came to mind when purchasing BRS magnesium. They recommend a certain type mixture for tanks that use kalk. I have not been able to find any such recommendations for the use of 2 part and Kalk. Secondly, the instructions for the BRS pharma kalk say to increase the amount of kalk to water as demand increases. I find that even at the lowest recommended mixture (1/2 tsp per gallon) that the solution is already saturated. I think so anyway, based on pH of solution. There is always some residue. Is adding more kalk to water able to 'oversaturate'? or how does that work? Thanks

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of how much it impacts pH (some two parts raise it as much as kalkwasser, some less, and some lower it), there no other aspect of a two part that makes one play better with kalkwasser dosing than others.

Are you wanting more pH boost?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find that even at the lowest recommended mixture (1/2 tsp per gallon) that the solution is already saturated. I think so anyway, based on pH of solution. There is always some residue. Is adding more kalk to water able to 'oversaturate'? or how does that work? Thanks

1/2 level teaspoon calcium hydroxide will not saturate a gallon, and pH is not very sensitive to dilution. Even 50% saturated will have pH above 12. Solids remaining is not a good guide either. There will be some insoluble material.

Conductivity is a good way to measure potency, with 10.3 mS/cm at 25 deg C being about saturated.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the exception of how much it impacts pH (some two parts raise it as much as kalkwasser, some less, and some lower it), there no other aspect of a two part that makes one play better with kalkwasser dosing than others.

Are you wanting more pH boost?
Are there more reasons than just pH boost to use kalk in addition to using 2 part, if pH is already where it needs to be and 2 part dosing is covering consumption, is there other beneficial reasons to start using kalk along with 2 part?

Sorry im in this boat, and its close to being relative to the o.p

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are there more reasons than just pH boost to use kalk in addition to using 2 part, if pH is already where it needs to be and 2 part dosing is covering consumption, is there other beneficial reasons to start using kalk along with 2 part?

Sorry im in this boat, and its close to being relative to the o.p

Not really. Kalkwasser doesn't impact salinity and a two part raises it. Kalkwasser is also often cheaper.

I used only it for 20 years. It's a fine way to go, but often cannot meet demand.

This has more discussion:

OP
OP
Key Largo

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Randy. Not a pH issue, kalk seems to keep my pH on high side. It was more a matter of when the day comes (I hope) that demand exceeds supply. My concern was the possible interaction of some 2 part components with the makeup of kalk. too much or too little of one chemical causing an imbalance or buildup. Compatibility, in other words.
Otherwise I find kalkwasser to be ideal. Slowly dose-able, stabilizes 3 parameters. And cheap.
As to the second part about saturation, any recommendation for measuring conductivity? seems like the way to go for checking saturation levels.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you, Randy. Not a pH issue, kalk seems to keep my pH on high side. It was more a matter of when the day comes (I hope) that demand exceeds supply. My concern was the possible interaction of some 2 part components with the makeup of kalk. too much or too little of one chemical causing an imbalance or buildup. Compatibility, in other words.
Otherwise I find kalkwasser to be ideal. Slowly dose-able, stabilizes 3 parameters. And cheap.
As to the second part about saturation, any recommendation for measuring conductivity? seems like the way to go for checking saturation levels.

Any conductivity meter than can read 10.3 mS/cm is suitable. There are many. I've used the Pinpoint and it was good, but there are many more brands available now. Just be sure it can read in conductivity units (mS/cm).

OP
OP
Key Largo

Key Largo

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again. actually looking at pinpoint as I currently use their pH monitor.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 36 31.3%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 24.3%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 21 18.3%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 30 26.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back