Best value for new aquarium these days?

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm back to kicking around the idea of getting a new tank, and I'm looking for suggestions. I am looking for a rimless, low iron option, 40-80 gallons or so, but need to be on the budget side of things. I have asked this before and many suggested SC Aquariums, and I had pretty much thought they were the winner for a budget tank, but I have since seen in person an SC Aquariums 50 gallon, and I didn't love it. Specifically, I didn't love the interior center overflow, I think it would just block flow behind the rocks and make aquascaping harder than it needs to be. And, the tank I saw had only two drain holes, so without modification you can only do a two drain pipe "herbie" style overflow and I would prefer a three pipe "Bean Animal" style overflow. A few months back I reached out to SC Aquarium and asked for other overflow configurations, and was told the turnaround time was like 15 months.

The 40 gallon I have and was going to go with I just don't think will work for me as I originally thought, so I'm back to looking. Any thoughts on any brands I may be missing?

One problem I have is so many manufacturers want to include the stand. I don't want a stand!! I enjoy woodworking and want to build a custom stand. It drives me crazy that you can't buy the tank alone. Same thing with the little IM Nuvo Fusion line where you can't get just the tank (except the 15), you have to get their package of pumps and what not..... Please just sell me the tank! But I digress....

Thanks for your help!

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages.com can build you what ever you want. However rimless with the drain style you want aren't usually included in budget tanks.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Glasscages.com can build you what ever you want. However rimless with the drain style you want aren't usually included in budget tanks.
I've heard of glasscages. Is it really that much more expensive to get an external overflow with three holes instead of an internal overflow with two holes?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard of glasscages. Is it really that much more expensive to get an external overflow with three holes instead of an internal overflow with two holes?
I just don't think they're as common which usually means higher price. The rimless part is what will increase price more. Glasscages comes highly recommended from just about everyone on this site. They have a tank builder option which will show the price for you and their customer service is top notch.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just don't think they're as common which usually means higher price. The rimless part is what will increase price more. Glasscages comes highly recommended from just about everyone on this site. They have a tank builder option which will show the price for you and their customer service is top notch.
Thank you again! I’ll check out the tank builder.

Joe Glass Cages

Passionate Glass Cages’s Team Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you again! I’ll check out the tank builder.
Appreciate the support @Ironwill723 @Jekyl Thanks so much!! I am very proud of our team.

@Fish Fan Here to help if needed. If you feel a phone call could help, give us a call. my direct number is 404-434-3444 if you would like to chat. My only goal is to share information that you can use to make a decision. That decision may not be to go with Glasscages and thats ok. The outcome would be that you could select something that meets your needs the best.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Tsunami Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aqua Forest
35. Nyos
36. AquaMaxx
37. Mr Aqua
38. Eshopps
39. Lifegard Aquatics
40. LiquidArt Aquariums
41. JBJ
42. Maxspec
43. Miraculous Catch Aquarium
44. Concept Aquariums

The best choice is your choice.

Lets us know how we can help.

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the support @Ironwill723 @Jekyl Thanks so much!! I am very proud of our team.

@Fish Fan Here to help if needed. If you feel a phone call could help, give us a call. my direct number is 404-434-3444 if you would like to chat. My only goal is to share information that you can use to make a decision. That decision may not be to go with Glasscages and thats ok. The outcome would be that you could select something that meets your needs the best.

Below is a list of Aquarium manufactures. You have many options to explore. I am sure I may have missed a few. Totally not intentional.

1. Coast 2 Coast
2. Reef Savvy
3. Miracles Aquariums
4. Titan
5. Tsunami Aquariums
6. Crystal Dynamics
7. Planet Aquariums
8. Advanced Acrylics
9. Midwest Custom Aquarium
10. Fish Tanks Direct
11. Custom Aquariums
12. Acrylic Tank Manufacturing
13. Tank Me USA
14. Crystal Reef Aquatics
15. Aqueon
16. Glass Cages
17. SCA
18. Acrylic Glass Exhibits
19. GEO
20. Tenecor Aquariums
21. Exotic Aquariums
22. Waterbox
23. Cade
24. Innovative Marine
25. Reef Octopus
26. Zero Edge
27. Redsea
28. Sheman Tanks
29. ELOS
30. New Level Tanks
31. The Aquarium King
32. Fish Traps
33. Splash Box Creations
34. Aqua Forest
35. Nyos
36. AquaMaxx
37. Mr Aqua
38. Eshopps
39. Lifegard Aquatics
40. LiquidArt Aquariums
41. JBJ
42. Maxspec
43. Miraculous Catch Aquarium
44. Concept Aquariums

The best choice is your choice.

Lets us know how we can help.
Thank you very much for your help, Joe!

nereefpat

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rough dimensions are you looking at?

I agree about internal overflow, especially on tanks that aren't at least 2' wide. My 125 gallon has 2 of the old Megaflow type internal overflows, and the space between there is a serious dead spot.

SCA could likely get you a tank without any overflows. Then you just drill and add an Eshopps or Fiji Cube kit. Surely that wouldn't have such a long build time?

OP
OP
Fish Fan

Fish Fan

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What rough dimensions are you looking at?

I agree about internal overflow, especially on tanks that aren't at least 2' wide. My 125 gallon has 2 of the old Megaflow type internal overflows, and the space between there is a serious dead spot.

SCA could likely get you a tank without any overflows. Then you just drill and add an Eshopps or Fiji Cube kit. Surely that wouldn't have such a long build time?
Thank you for your reply. I had been hoping for an SC Aquariums 66 (32"L x 24"W x 20"H) or 80 (32"L x 24"W x 24"H). This footprint fits my space nicely. However, I realized that between my wife and myself I don't think we could physically lift and move the 80 gallon, I think the 66 might be just at our weight limit, so to speak.

SC Aquariums' 66 gallon is $800 with free shipping to a commercial address, plus $55 for delivery to a residential address. They do occasionally go on sale. I wrote to SC Aquariums yesterday, but they only have the internal center overflow available. I'll keep looking, but other manufacturers seem to be much more expensive. I really didn't think it would be much of a big deal to get something with the overflow I want. I can't spend $1500+ on a tank right now, but I really don't want the internal center overflow, and don't want to settle on a tank I won't like. I think I may have to push this new tank idea back several more months.

What I have now, and I think I will still go with for now, is an IM Nuvo Black 40 gallon. This is not an AIO, and has now been discontinued for years (I got mine around 2018, I think - still brand new in the box lol!).

I also have the Synergy Shadow overflow, but I all of a sudden realized that I can't use this overflow with my two Kessil mounting arms. I think this will be true of any tank I try to add the Shadow overflow to.

I really didn't want any kind of canopy or anything over the tank, but I think the plan for now is to drill my 40 gallon and install the Shadow overflow, and then suspend my lights over the tank from the wall or ceiling, without using the mounting arms.

Not to get too far off topic, but because of the weight of the empty tank and moving it into our house is now a concern, it got me thinking about an acrylic tank. I have never really thought about an acrylic tank before, but it would be much, much lighter compared to the same sized glass tank. I'll going to take a look for acrylic tanks to see what's out there.

Thanks for your help!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 91 58.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.0%
Back