revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Best Vodka Pellets?

Is there such a thing? LOL!

I need to order some because this is my last straw to help me with this annoying algae.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Not sure...

Just wondering who has used what and what results they have seen.

spspirate

Tidepool Explorer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Im interested too!..LOL I here its pretty expensive..

Mr E Wrasse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the ecobak and it's kept my nitrates and phosphates down. My phosphates were .2 before before i started using it. Last time i checked it a couple of weeks ago it was down to .04

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rev,
I don't think we can tell which one is better at this time.Being it's a fairly new product.I feel we are still finding our way right now.I'm using Ecobak,and seems to be working also.I haven't tests in awhile now.Usually tell by the panes and clear water,if that looks good,I just don't tests.

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How bout stop over feeding and 1up the WC routine??? Some folks don't realize that WC's are key in this hobby. Im not implying you underestimate the power of the almighty WC but I think it will solve most algae problems. *Thumbs Up* and goodluck.

Ricordea

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WC didn't do a thing for me,and did them weekly.All new filters on the RODI,feed fish once a day.New filters bags and carbon,it "didn't" help one bit.Even the GFO was having a hard time keeping up.The PO 4 are locked up in the rock or sand bed if you have one.I had to clean my panes 3 times a week,until I tried the pellets.Now once a week for me. There are a lot of posts and threads on this subject.And what I've have scene posted good results also.So this isn't just me saying this.

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use Ecobak and love them. I read all the threads on the first two brands and I didn't have any of the issues that some had with those. I had no cyano outbreak. I had no cloudy water. I run my output of my reactor under water right next to the skimmer pumps. *DISCLAIMER* I don't recommend that anyone stop WC's........I set my temp system up in in June and have not performed one WC yet. I just top off with RO/DI and once in a while ad some salt when salinity drops when my skimmer skims too wet some times. I found in the past that this is what works for ME. I went over a year and a half with my 75 without a WC. I also feed my tank heavily. Just tested two days ago N - zero P .05. When I finally set up my 220 I will continue with the Ecobak and WC regimen.....or lack there of....:tongue:

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My fish beg for food as it is!

TopNotchCorals

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WC didn't do a thing for me,and did them weekly.All new filters on the RODI,feed fish once a day.New filters bags and carbon,it "didn't" help one bit.Even the GFO was having a hard time keeping up.The PO 4 are locked up in the rock or sand bed if you have one.I had to clean my panes 3 times a week,until I tried the pellets.Now once a week for me. There are a lot of posts and threads on this subject.And what I've have scene posted good results also.So this isn't just me saying this.
I wasn't knocking the product Ricordea, I was just saying in general. If you were doing weekly WC's and couldn't keep a algae free tank then you must have a "algae curse".

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I wasn't knocking the product Ricordea, I was just saying in general. If you were doing weekly WC's and couldn't keep a algae free tank then you must have a "algae curse".

Sometimes it's not that simple bro. ;)

bmooney31

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I"ve been running ecobak for about 2 months and my tank is now starting to get a cyano outbreak. I do bi monthly WC and I can't figure out what is going on. I'm using a BRS reactor and the only thing I can think of if the inlet line insn't directly under the reactor it has alittle way to travel to get to the reactor. I cant get the pellets to tumble very well infact it has channeled on me. I was all about these things at first but now I"m a little dissappointed. Oh yeah I'm running a MJ1200 on the reactor. I'm not giving up though

CONSTANTNE

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using NPX bio-beads for a few months with cyano covering my whole sandbed daily.

Curtie44

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been running the Ecobak pellets for a tick over 2 months now and have been seeing some spots of cyano show up in the same areas each day. If I suck it out with a turkey baster it just comes back a few days later. I haven't really seen any significant reduction in my nitrates yet either, which was my biggest reason for trying it. I'm going to stay the course for a while longer to see if I start getting some results. I should mention that I quit running carbon shortly after I started the ecobak simply because I ran out and had not re-ordered (finally placed an order w/ BRS yesterday though). About 2 weeks ago I began dosing MB7 in hopes that it will help with my nitrate problem. P04 has never been an issue for me but I have battled nitrates from the very beginning. I was really expecting that the pellets would have shown some improvement by now, but nada....maybe I just need to wait a little bit longer.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
yeah maybe I'm just lucky:angel:

Honestly I have NEVER had any real issues with algae especially algae that didn't; go away. This that I have now is like a brown diatom algae and I can blow off with a baster but comes right back. Covers the sand and also cause my zoas and palys to stay half closed. I am almost ready to shut down my 250g.

luke33

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think alot of the pellets are the same now a days, only price separates them. Only difference is some are made in the states and some in China. I don't think they are for everyone but people who have the 20-40ppm trates or high phosphates they work wonders. Myself i don't run them and i haven't done a water change in 4.5yrs ; )

Lowsingle

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used the vertex bio-pellets for quite some time with no cyano outbreaks......I still do weekly water changes and run carbon / GFO. Water from my pellet reactor (from AVAST) runs directly into my skimmer. I should post an overview of my setup some time....

cheers,
Darren

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 62 32.3%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 50 26.0%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 40 20.8%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 38 19.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.0%
Back