Best water height on 150 gallon rimless

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ideal operating waterline from the top of a rimless tank? Is 1” from top at normal operating level enough? Looking for the recommended balance of not too low for looks, but not too high for messes! My tank is 54x30x24.

I am setting up my first rimless 150 gallon with a Modular Marine 3600 overflow. Overflow came in today - looks like a piece of art. Very nice quality! I hope it works as well as it looks. I am still waiting on my new tank and have to tell them how low to drill the overflow holes set the water level. MM comes with a template that has a minimum water line for the lowest point on the weirs which is about 1-1/8” from the lowest point on the weir tooth. MM recommends “at least and added 1/4” below the rim” and to expect ~1/2” rise on the weir teeth running at 50-75% of flow rating.

I am also planning on running GHL’s Versia Stream flow generators.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the ideal operating waterline from the top of a rimless tank? Is 1” from top at normal operating level enough? Looking for the recommended balance of not too low for looks, but not too high for messes! My tank is 54x30x24.

I am setting up my first rimless 150 gallon with a Modular Marine 3600 overflow. Overflow came in today - looks like a piece of art. Very nice quality! I hope it works as well as it looks. I am still waiting on my new tank and have to tell them how low to drill the overflow holes set the water level. MM comes with a template that has a minimum water line for the lowest point on the weirs which is about 1-1/8” from the lowest point on the weir tooth. MM recommends “at least and added 1/4” below the rim” and to expect ~1/2” rise on the weir teeth running at 50-75% of flow rating.

I am also planning on running GHL’s Versia Stream flow generators.

I’ve had all rimless. Definitely not 1”. I think 2-2.5” is good. You can even go 3 and it won’t look stupid. I think you’ll be pretty happy with 2-2.5.

Measure down 2” and take a T-Square and mark that line all the way across to find your perfect waterline. If 2” doesn’t look good to you then try 2.25, 2.5, etc.

OP
OP
N

niccumec

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had all rimless. Definitely not 1”. I think 2-2.5” is good. You can even go 3 and it won’t look stupid. I think you’ll be pretty happy with 2-2.5.

Measure down 2” and take a T-Square and mark that line all the way across to find your perfect waterline. If 2” doesn’t look good to you then try 2.25, 2.5, etc.
Yeah, I figured I would need some head room. That is why I went with a 24” tall tank. If I am thinking correctly (based on MM info) the water will ride ~1/2” up the weir tooth @50-75% flow, so if I set the bottom of the weir tooth at 2.5”, I should end up with a ~2” operating water line. Seem like that would be sufficient head room.

Anyone out there regret having water line too high (or too low) on a rimless?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I figured I would need some head room. That is why I went with a 24” tall tank. If I am thinking correctly (based on MM info) the water will ride ~1/2” up the weir tooth @50-75% flow, so if I set the bottom of the weir tooth at 2.5”, I should end up with a ~2” operating water line. Seem like that would be sufficient head room.

Anyone out there regret having water line too high (or too low) on a rimless?

Yeah, it’s about 1/2” up on weir teeth running full speed.

This is about 1.80” So I think about 1.75-2” is about optimal. 2” will prevent more water from spilling over the top.

Go to 2:17

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMG_0525.jpeg

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 42 22.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 62 32.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 18 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.1%
Back